Costa Rica: My Country | Teen Ink

Costa Rica: My Country MAG

By MarinCR BRONZE, Republic, Missouri
MarinCR BRONZE, Republic, Missouri

All places are different; their various cultures, people, and weather make each place beautiful and fascinating. I have experienced beauty in two different places: America and Costa Rica.

I lived in Costa Rica for 16 years. One of my most treasured experiences is going to the mountains to my great grandparents’ house. There, I’d see all of my second cousins that were too old and too exhausted for city life and had moved to the country. Visiting my family, climbing a mountain, and seeing the ocean far below are some of my greatest experiences in Costa Rica.  

Over the years, I have realized how misinformed Americans are about Hispanic countries and how Costa Ricans are misinformed about Americans. For example, once I moved to the U.S., I realized that not all Americans are tall, or eat McDonalds all day, or like country music. This is how I feel when someone says that I eat tacos all day, that I am Mexican or Puerto Rican, or that I am illegal. I’ve found that learning about other cultures helps develop good relationships with people from other places. Knowing other cultures expands your knowledge and your way of thinking. It also makes you more kind and sensitive to other people and their beliefs.

Costa Ricans are not Mexican or Puerto Rican; there is a huge difference between all the Hispanic countries, and every country has special features that makes them unique. There are 22 countries that are considered Hispanic, and 20 that are considered Latino countries. Hispanic cultures don’t all look the same, eat the same foods, or talk the same. This is something that amazes me. We speak the same language (except for Brazil and some other Caribbean countries) but every country has their own accent and phrases.

Costa Rica is a really small country. In fact, Missouri (where I currently live) is 3.5 times bigger than Costa Rica. My small country has oceans on both sides. From the centrally located capital of San José, it is pretty easy to go to the beach, the forest, or the mountains. This year marks the 70th anniversary since Costa Rica abolished its army, spending the extra money to improve education, health care, and create a durable social safety net. Twenty-five percent of Costa Rican land is protected as either a national park or wildlife reserve. Something interesting is that every town –no matter how small – has a church, a soccer field or a park, and a pulpería (corner store). All churches face west in Costa Rica, which is extremely helpful when finding your way around because most streets in small towns don’t have names. And finally, one of the most important things you’ll notice when visiting Costa Rica, is that wherever you go people will be smiling and inviting you to have a cup of coffee.

Every Hispanic country has its own traditions. In Costa Rica, there are parades all the time. In the town where my family lived, there are two weeks of the year when people dress up, wear masks, and dance in the streets along with cimarronas (trumpets, drums, and cymbals). People playfully throw cow or pig bladders filled with air at those not wearing masks. This may sound really weird to you, but for my friends and me, it is something that we enjoy and wait for all year.

I love my culture and everything that Costa Rica represents. I also feel proud to say that I am Hispanic, but stereotypes make things rough. Having a general knowledge of other cultures can make people more comfortable and build good relationships. The next time you meet someone from another place or another culture, don’t stereotype. Instead, try to learn from them.

this is a school essay talking about own experience in America about stereotypes.

MEllenwood BRONZE, Greenwood, Arkansas
Thank you for sharing about your wonderful country. I agree with you that people should learn about other cultures and not jump to conclusions. I was drawn to your article because I am interested in cultures and travel, and I loved learning about yours. Thank you and great job!