The Showcase

We start to warm up and notice that some of the players on the other team are very big. They have to be at least in high school, but we begin walking on the field, their graduation year is on their jerseys. Some of them read 2022 and 2023, but I would have never thought there would be 6’3 tall girls and only be in the 7th or 8th grade. That doesn't really say much for me because I am in the 9th grade and could probably pass for a fourth grader. I was the smallest one our team just over 5 foot, almost 5’1 but not quite yet.

We go and put all of our stuff in the dugout (a team bench area and is located in foul territory between home plate and either first or third base) and we watch our competition warm up so we know what they are weak and strong on. I look in the field and look to Rebecca and say, “ Okay they're decent but they do bobble the ball a lot, but the catcher has a arm on her, the pitcher has good speed but not very accurate, and the outfield plays deep and runs up on the ball a lot.”