Pacing | Teen Ink

Pacing

October 13, 2016
By Aniyah BRONZE, Wimington, Delaware
Aniyah BRONZE, Wimington, Delaware
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s track season, it feels as though I’m gaining power throughout my body. Nervousness, also comes because you never know what to expect the outcome to be. Faith within myself is already encountered because no matter what I do, or how hard it may be, I will never stop believing in myself. These three attributes help me accomplish my task on the track.

I was in the eighth grade when I first began my days on the track. I never knew I would have the urge to run track, but life comes with many surprises. Tryouts were nerve wrecking, yet a great experience. Running the steps and hallways of my middle school became tiring, but that’s how I gained my power. My coach, Ms. Fisher, always pushed me, and because of that, I made the team.

Practice determined which team we would be on. Team A and Team B were the two teams people were divided onto depending on how hard, and dedicated we were while running. Team A was the team to rely on to win medals. Team B was the team where the runners got the job done, and sometimes switched over to Team A. Luckily, I made it onto Team A because I would push myself to do things I had never done before.

Our first track meet took place at McKean High School. We were racing against McKean, AI, and Skyline. As my team and I began to stretch and warm up, I got nervous and my heart began to pound really fast. It was hard to swallow, like a knot was stuck in my throat and my palms suddenly were sweaty. I tried to think about positive and got my head back on track. I kept saying, “I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me – Philippians 4:13”, I believed it myself. I started off running the 4 by 2 race, and as I heard the shot fired, my legs began to run like a motor. As I handed my teammate the stick to finish of the race, I noticed I was the first to hand off. Nothing made me happier. To finish off, we won that relay, and were prepared to win more.

The power, nervousness, and faith I had helped me along my track season. They were my key elements to strive for my best. No matter how uneasy I felt about a meet, these attributes helped me get on track.