In the Water I'm Home | Teen Ink

In the Water I'm Home

By WendyLovesYou SILVER, Oak Harbor, Washington
WendyLovesYou SILVER, Oak Harbor, Washington

Life is very complicated. Don't try to find answers. Because when you find answers life changes the question.

5 that's how many events I had. 5 that's how many times I would be in the pool, that's how many chances I would have to get a first place. 3 relays and 2 individual races. I knew this was a one time thing. I was only replacing Rodriguez relays while she was out with a burned hand. The thing was out of all the Varsity girls the Berny chose me, the only freshman who made Varsity.
As the official blew the whistle for event #3 to start my nerves started. Event 3 is the Varsity Girls 200 Medley Relay. It consist of 4 girls one for back, one for breast, another for fly, and one for free. Rodriguez swam 3rd, butterfly.
Esmeralda pushed off the wall to start the relay. Her backstroke was beautiful, it was fast and wouldn't get disqualified. When she touched the wall Melissa divided off the block starting her part of the relay, Breaststroke. Even though she didn't swim Breaststroke for an individual event hers was almost as good as Cindy's.
When she reached the far wall my nerves got worst. I was next, I was swimming an event that I practice religiously. Butterfly was one of my individual events. There was a reason I had that event because I was good at it. I had nothing to worry about. I hoped.
When Melissa reached the flags I got ready on the block. My heart was still racing but I know it was because I passion for something I loved to do. Something I've always done. I smiled and I dived in when she touched the wall.
I didn't slow down I sprinted the entire thing. The whole 50 yards. If you didn't sprint what was the point of being in a relay. You are a team, you go 110% at all times. You have to pretend sometimes that if you don’t win you don’t belong. I knew I belonged once I touched the wall and Patty dived off to do freestyle when I saw the other girl still doing Butterfly.
I pulled myself out of the pool cheering Patty on as she swam. at the end we were neck and neck with one of the other teams. Patty had just reached the wall before them. To us it was obvious we weren't going to get first. Second was good because first went to our schools other relay team.
Even though I though 5 events were going to suck it actually turned out fantastic. I took Rodriguez other relay #41 the 4x100 freestyle relay. When i dived in it was drizzling, when I came out it was a full on storm. Everyone was running from the deck to the locker room but I stayed back cheering on Patty while she finished her part (Yes she was in this relay too). I held her towel and bag keeping them dry while she finished.
The timers were hiding under the diving board as they waited for the swimmers to finish. I was kinda thankful that the official had put together the last two events #41 and 42 because if she didn't the guys would still have been out there waiting to do their relay.
5 events don’t seem like a lot but when you try they take a lot out of you. When I came out of the locker room that day I could hear thunder and it made me smile. I felt at home for once, in the rain, in the pool. In water i’m always home.

Swimming is something I love. If you have a passion its okay to be nerves. You love it and you don't want to mess it up. If you love something you gotta go for it and do the best you can.