Track | Teen Ink

Track

By courtneylouise1 SILVER, Bennett, Colorado
courtneylouise1 SILVER, Bennett, Colorado

"to cross the Rubicon river" - Julius Caesar

I was on the brink of exhaustion, each breath I took wheezed from my lungs the capability of going on. But I still had to more runs’ to go. Each step I took smacked the ground as if my legs were no longer part of me; as if they were now concrete pounding against concrete. This was it “I can’t go any more” was on repeat throughout my mind. Each hurdle I jumped felt as hard as the word “hurdle” is intended to signify. Heart pounding and muscles seizing, all ambition draining from my limbs, I knew I couldn’t go much longer. I would need a miracle to get through this last lap.

And then I saw him, my miracle. Standing off to the side, wearing a track suit and a sticky note with the number “16” tacked to his jersey. Looking at me with all the ambition I was lacking and all the admiration one could have gleaming through their eyes. No longer did my legs feel like dead weight, no longer did I think I couldn’t make it. I don’t know if it was the surge of not wanting to let him down or his total confidence wearing off on me. But I picked up speed, and before I knew it Cassidy Virgo was slipping from my view; no linger on my heels.40…30…20 counting down the feet till I could stop. And bam I was across the finish line and in first place. The crowd was cheering and my heart was still pounding, I realized that I couldn’t have done it without him. I could see him making his way to this side of the field.

I am so blessed to have him in my life. It’s hard to believe that four short years ago he wasn’t in my life. Seth paul, my little nephew was my miracle today. And I will never forget him in his little track suit with his number pinned to him like he was about to compete himself.