Babe Ruth | Teen Ink

Babe Ruth

By MADavis ELITE, Kentland, Indiana
MADavis ELITE, Kentland, Indiana

Babe Ruth was born February 6th, 1895 in Baltimore, Maryland. Babe’s mom and dad had eight children but only one survived. His sister Mamie survived. Babe Ruth’s real name was George Herman Ruth. When Babe was a kid he and his sister parents work long hours. Leaving no time for his parents to watch them. George Jr. started to misbehave and often skip school. He also caused a lot of trouble in the neighbor hood. When he turned seven his parents found out about all the trouble a sent him to St. Mary’s Industrial school for boys. This is a school ran by Catholic monks from and order of Xaverian brothers. It was a strict and disciplined environment that helped him shape up. There he developed a love for baseball.

One of the monks at the school liked George and became a positive role model for him and a father like model for George. This monk also helped him refine his baseball skills, working tirelessly with him on his hitting, fielding and pitching skills. George became so good that they invited the Oriole’s owner Jack Dunn down and let him watch George play. Jack was impressed and he offered a contract to George in February 1914 after watching him for less than an hour. Since George was only 19 at the time Dunn became his legal guardian to complete the contract. When the players first met George they called him “Jack’s newest babe.” That is the most famous nickname ever. Then he was called Babe.

The Babe preformed well for Dunn and the Orioles, leading to the sale of Babe to the Boston Red Sox by Dunn. Babe was known for his slugger. He started his career as pitcher and he was a very good pitcher too. In 1914 he appeared in 5 games and 4 of them he was pitching. He won his major league debut on July 11, 1914. However due to a loaded roster, Babe was sent to the Red Sox’s minor league team Providence Grays where he helped them to an International League Pennant. Babe became a permanent fixture in the Red Sox’s rotation in 1915, making an 18-8 record with an ERA of 2.44. He followed up his successful first season with a 23-12 season in 1916, leading the league with a1.75 ERA. In 1917 he went 24-13 with a 2.01 ERA and a overwhelming 35 complete games in 38 starts. However, by that time, Babe had displayed enormous power in his limited plate appearances, so it was decided his bat was too good to be left out of the lineup on a daily basis. As a result, in 1918, the transition began to turn Babe into an everyday player. That year, he tied for the major league lead in homeruns with 11 in single season home run record of 29 dingers in 1919. Little did he know that the 1919 season would be his last with Boston. On December 26, 1919, Babe was sold to the New York Yankees and the two teams would never be the same ever again.

After becoming a Yankee, Babe transitioned to a full time outfielder became complete. Babe dominated the game, gathering numbers that had never been seen before. He changed baseball from grind style to one of power and high scoring games. He re-wrote the record books from standpoint, combing a high batting average with an unbelievable power. The result was an assault on baseball’s most hallowed records. In 1920 he bested the homerun record he set in 1919 by belting a staggering 54 homeruns , in a season in which no other player hit more than 19 and only one team hit more than Babe did individually. But Babe wasn’t done as his 1921 season may have been the greatest in MLB history. That season, he blasted a new record of 59 homeruns, drove in 171 RBI (runs batted in), scored 177 runs, batted .376 and had an unread .876 slugging percentage. Babe was officially a superstar and enjoyed a popularity never seen before in professional baseball. With Babe leading the way, the Yankees became the most recognizable and dominant team in baseball, setting attendance records along the ways. When the Yankees moved to new stadium in 1923 it was appropriately dubbed The House That Ruth Built.

Babe’s mythical stature grew more in 1927 when he set a new homerun record of 60, record that would stand would stand for over 34 years. During his time with the Yankees, Babe ignited the greatest dynasty in all of American sports. To his arrival, the Yankees had never won a championship title before any kind. After joining the Yankees after the 1920 season Babe lead the Yankees to 7 pennants and 4 World Series titles. The 1927 team is still considered the best team in baseball. Before retiring in 1937 at the braves he held 56 major league records at the time. Which now they have probably have lowered but still that is amazing. He also held the homerun record of 714 homeruns in his career. Which now the homerun record is held by Barry bonds.

Passing 60 years ago Babe still remains the best baseball player to ever live. But there are a few people that think Babe has got passed by a bunch of people. He is the top of the players that all people are leveled at. Nearly 75 years ago since Babe has played his last game Babe still is considered the greatest baseball player to ever live.