The Day That Changed My Life | Teen Ink

The Day That Changed My Life

Back in 1985 I selected first overall in the NBA draft to the New York Knicks from Duke University. I was a very small player but I had a jump shot was as pure as gold, a crossover better then Allen Iverson’s, and a knowledge for the game like no other.
I felt like I was made of money. The first thing I did was I donated money to my college and Clarkstown North High School. Then I bought a tremendous house for me and my family. If I wanted to be an all- star in this league, I needed something spectacular to happen to me. Then there was the day that changed my life.

When I signed my first big contract for one hundred million dollars I decided to get a surgery that made me seven feet tall. I was the first person to ever get this surgery. The surgery grew cartilage in my legs and added bones from a lion. This surgery hurt so much that I wanted to break down into tears, but I knew what I had to do to become a better player in the NBA. After the surgery was done I had to go to a three-month physical therapy session where I had to learn to walk and jump as if I have never done either before in my life.
After the surgery I was so tall I felt like I was as tall as the tallest mountains, and I felt great by the first game of the season. I was the biggest point guard to ever play in the NBA. In my rookie season, I was the star of the league. In my first season I averaged one hundred points and thirty rebounds per game. I led my team to be the first seed in the playoffs. One by one I eliminated every team in the playoffs; they started to call me the
“One Man Wrecking Crew”. When I made it to the NBA finals I was getting all the recognition, and the rest of the team didn’t like it.

My team was one team away from winning the NBA finals when the tragedy happened. I was practicing in the gym before the game with one of my teammates, Sparky McDonald. I was getting all the publicity from the reporters. They were asking me, “How does it feel to single handedly take your team to the NBA Finals? How many points are you going to have?” I replied to those questions by saying, “I’ll answer all the questions after I win the Championship.” Sparky got so jealous; his face turned so red as if he ate a red pepper. He raged with fury that he came over to me and broke every fake bone and piece of cartilage that I received from my surgery.
I didn’t know what to do; all of the surgery that was done had come undone. I barely remembered how to walk as the hobbit I used to be. I had a game in three hours, and I barely could play basketball anymore. I had to sit out the next game that we obviously lost, and the next game we lost, and the next game we lost. The best of seven series was tied at three to three. The final game I felt the courage, heart, and the motivation to play the way I played before I was a giant.

It was the first game I had to play with all the skill that I first had in high school and college. In the first quarter the game was tied 30 to 30; by the end of the first half the game was tied at fifty, and I didn’t score one point. At half time the team knew that we should have won the series already and that we should be winning the game, so they all had down faces. So I came up with my regular selfish solution. I said, “If you guys want to win then I want you to pass me the ball.” All the players looked at me with a crazy face as if I just told them I saw Bigfoot. The second half started and I came out ready to play. I scored the first forty points of the second half, until the ball ended up slipping away from me and went right to Sparky McDonald leading him for an easy two points. Every point we scored, the opponents would match. All of a sudden I kept losing the ball, but I kept giving it right to my teammates and they kept scoring. It was like a sign from the gods that I was born to pass the ball.
After I realized that I was an absolutely phenomenal passer, I was giving passes off my head for a lay up, off my knee for a three pointer, or around my back and off the floor: and I make all the passes look easy. My teammates kept making the shots, and at that moment I realized that my team would back me up if I passed them the ball. The game was tied with ten seconds left, and I got a steal. I ran down court, and the crowd was counting down 10...9...8...7…6...5… at five I jumped from the free throw line and dunked the ball, but I started to fall. I kept falling and falling, and at the bottom of that steep fall I fell right in my bed.

The next day in my high school basketball game I scored my average twenty points a game and I ended up with way above my average of zero assists: 30 points: 20 assists.