100 Meters to the Red Ribbon | Teen Ink

100 Meters to the Red Ribbon

“Ready!”

Your heart beats harder and faster. All the blood vessels in your whole body are contracting in one harmonic rhythm similar to that song We will rock you by Queen that your younger brother was blasting through the mp3 just before the big race.

“Get set”

The trigger is pulled and everybody starts cheering. At first your senses surprise you and something holds you back from instigating the first step. Then that little voice inside your head knocks you back to reality.

The right leg initiates the whole process of movement by forming a ninety degree angle and landing on the track with the foot parallel to the ground. However, the foot should not land with heel, but with a light step by the core of the foot. By doing this, the body does not waste extraneous energy by going all the way down and it also gives a spring effect to the next movement of running. At the same time, the left arm forms a ninety degree angle as well while the right leg is in motion. As the right leg moves downward and backward in an almost circular motion, it is now the turn of the left leg. The right arm moves in front of the body with a ninety degree angle as the left leg also forms a ninety degree angle and lands the same way as the right leg. This movement gives fuel to the right leg to repeat the movements. The simple harmonic motion of both arms and legs in sync gives the body optimal conditions to travel as fast as possible. When the body is almost one foot in distance with the red ribbon, the legs tend to lunge longer while every possible moment of happiness and determination is squeezed out of the environment by the runner. At last, the extended chest barely touches the smooth red ribbon of accomplishment and roaring voices explode from the bleachers. It is then that the runner has traveled 100 meters to the red ribbon.