College Girl | Teen Ink

College Girl MAG

December 24, 2010
By PerfectMGymnast DIAMOND, Parker, Colorado
PerfectMGymnast DIAMOND, Parker, Colorado
57 articles 25 photos 633 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you don't leap you'lll never know what it's like to fly"


Someday I'm gonna go to college. Yeah, college. Just like the girls I see on TV. The ones who wear those glittering, tight outfits that complement their bodies so well. The ones who wear their hair up in a million tiny hairbands. They've got to make sure to tie their hair down so that it doesn't go stubborn. The ones who flash their smiles like bright lights that shine on the Fourth of July. They dance to their own music with their own original moves.

Especially that one girl. Yeah her! The one over there that the crowd is cheering for. She delicately sways her arms toward the sky, making an intricate pose like a flamingo standing on one leg. Then her arms come down to her sides with a thump. She begins to pump her fists back and forth until her whole body has left the floor. She is soaring through the air like a firework letting off its full beauty.

Someday I'll be like her and all the others. A college girl. A gymnast college girl. Gymnastics. College. Gymnastics. College. It will be my life. For now, though, I am stuck. Stuck in a place known as my second home. It is my home. It is my gym – the place where I train now so I can be that college girl. That gymnast. And everyone when they see me will say, “Hey, you're that girl from TV,” and I'll smile and say, “Yup, that's me.”

I'll have the nicest teammates. We'll do everything together just like best friends. And my coach, she'll be the best I've ever had – strict, fun, tough, friendly like a teacher. All the young gymnasts will look up to me. They'll come from near and far just to get their picture taken with me and to get my autograph.

But for now, I am stuck here. This will have to do for now. It's a second home, but not my dream home. Here the gym is hot and stuffy. It's small and doesn't have room for all the equipment. My coach, yeah, she's nice, but not strict enough. And my teammates, we are close, but there are only four of us. So right now this isn't the dream I want to be living.

“Enjoy being a kid while it lasts,” Mama says. I don't listen to her. I dream of the day I go off to college. College. Gymnastics. Studying. Flipping. And I'll get my first glimpse of TV stardom: the sports channels.