A Shocker in Spring | Teen Ink

A Shocker in Spring

January 11, 2010
By Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Steven Benna SILVER, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

After taking 20th in state in 2008, the Warhawks boys track team was on a mission in 2009. They were not seen as the favorites to win, even though they dominated in the Classic 8 Conference meet. However, at Mansfield Stadium at UW-La Crosse in early June, Arrowhead overcame all odds and surged to their third state title.

Way back in 1965, Arrowhead High School won their first track state championship, and nearly forty years later they won their second. It appeared as if Arrowhead would win the occasional title, but then the 2009 season came along.

Arrowhead had an extremely complete meet, with only one hiccup, as Coach Herriot put it, in the pole vault. Other than that, they filled all expectations breaking two school records at the meet, including the 800 by Tim Hucke and the 1600 meter relay team consisting of Casey Panawash-Bielinski, Evan Resimius, Tim Hucke and Tyler Zeman.

"This is the way we had hoped to finish the season," Herriot said. "The guys really came through.”

Following the state victory, the Arrowhead boys track team competed in Nationals, taking part in sprint med, 1600 relay, 3200 relay, 400 relay, the open 800, and the open 1600.

The author's comments:
I ran track