It's Your Opinion | Teen Ink

It's Your Opinion MAG

It's Your Opinion

by D. C., Bethel, CT

I am so sick and tired of hearing people say that cheerleading is not a sport. Well, I beg to differ. I am a Bethel High cheerleader and we do just about as much work as the football players. Lately I have heard a new rumor that it is not a sport because all the cheerleaders do is jump around, scream and bother the players. Well, our players respect us.

This business about the girls in Texas is ridiculous. This is how cheerleaders get their bad reputations and become known as the schools' sluttiest airheads. None of our girls have bad reps and people respect us for that too.

I have had many arguments with the men in my family who say that since men do not participate in it, then it cannot be called a sport. I have told them over and over to go and take a look at almost any college and see the guys cheering. Guys can be some of the best cheerleaders because of their muscle strength. So, next time you want to say cheerleading is not a sport, keep it to yourself, because that is your own opinion. I think it is a crazy one though, but then again, that is my opinion.