June 26, 2021 Huntsville, AL | Teen Ink

June 26, 2021 Huntsville, AL

November 22, 2021
By Anonymous

It was the last weekend of June in the summer of 2021, in Huntsville, Alabama. It had been a hard couple years in my swimming career because I was doing well and the we got quarantined. I had just started with a new coach and she had made me better than I thought I could be, helping me push my limits. Now back to this specific race. I had been my teams record holder in this event and been ranked 2nd in the nation. I talked to my coach and all she said was, ”Kaylee, relax. Focus on your 3rd 25 and you will do something amazing.” My friend and I, who I was going to race right next to. We walked up and it was game time. I was nervous. Before I knew it the they blew the whistle for my race, then the second, then we all jumped in the pool. Take your mark, beep! I stayed underwater trying not to be disqualified and came up early enough, trying to follow the lines on the ceiling. I hit the other side at the flags at the perfect timing. I flipped fast. Then I did my underwaters and I came up and looked back. I was shocked by the fact when I looked back and I was 2 body lengths ahead! I had so much confidence that I couldn’t feel the pain. By the end it started to hurt, but I wanted to win because it would help my ego. I hit the wall, so out of breath I was looking down. Then I looked at the board, never could I have hoped for such an amazing outcome. I went the fastest time in the state all summer. My face lit up with joy and I was so overjoyed. My coaches and my mom jumping up and down with such happiness and I leaned over to hug my teammate. We hopped out and I ran up to the stairs to hug my mom. I could see a slight tear falling down her cheek. It may have been the happiest I’ve been. I went to talk to my coach and she was so proud and said that was most amazing, heartfelt moment I have ever felt. My coach gave be a hug and told me this is the proudest she has ever been of me. I went home that night with hugs with my trio and Qdoba to fill my stomach for the next day. That was the best feeling I have ever felt and the most fulfilling moment in my swimming career.


The author's comments:

THis shows the true joy and work put in too success. This is for the swimmers.