3 Peas in a Pod | Teen Ink

3 Peas in a Pod

By sophschwartz GOLD, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
sophschwartz GOLD, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

Growing up as a triplet, everything has always been in threes. It was through this that I learned what the expression three peas in a pod meant. To me, it meant that my sisters and I were a package deal. Always, where one went the other two followed behind decorated (against our will) in matching outfits. To our friends we were “the triplets.” To our teachers we were “Hannah… Wait No Jackie… Oh I’m sorry I meant Sophia.” Though the accidental mix-ups prevailed throughout my childhood that is not what bothered me. I was most offended by the fact that to the world we were one and the same.  I was not Sophia, but a unit. Maybe I would understand more if we were identical, but we aren’t. Underneath our indistinguishable outfits I was distinctly Sophia. To me, being a triplet felt like I was handicapped. Constantly I, like an anchor, was weighed down by my sisters and caged. I was trapped within the shadow and within the crowded skin and body of “The Triplets.” My sisters and I were three peas in one overfull pod, and I wanted out.

Despite my struggle to individually define myself from my sisters, a beam of hope and a solution to by problem emerged: High School. This next step in my life glistened bright, a sparkling ray of possibility and opportunity, as if sent to cast scurrying away the dark and dominating shadows I had been trapped by. Throughout one’s life, High School is praised and illustrated as an enchanted place; a place were one can reinvent him or herself and become an individual. I ­­­planned to do nothing less than completely seize the opportunity that lay before me. Finally, I believed that I possessed the ability to detach myself from my sisters and remove my handicaps so that I could fly and flourish as my own person. I soon realized that in order to be my own person it was essential that I make my own decisions. My childhood revolved around copycatting the decisions that my sisters made. They played soccer, so did I. They played basketball, so did I. My actions were dictated by what my sisters did, it was like a large, endless game of follow the leader, the only catch was at most points it was indistinguishable which of us was the leader and which were the followers. However, in High School I became my own leader. I began to embrace the unique features that High School had to offer; specifically I was motivated to find my hobbies and myself by exploring my schools’ clubs and sports teams.

One distinct and life changing decision that I made on my own was joining my school’s track team. This marked one of the first decisions that I made on my own without the influence or company of my sisters. Upon joining the track team, I did not expect much, I did not even expect to enjoy it. It seemed there was not anything particularly appealing about track, it was simply a sport where one runs around in a circle for fun.  However, it did not take long to realize how wrong my expectations were, and track became so much more than I ever imagined. In track, originally something where I had expected to find nothing but pain and workouts, I found a family and more importantly I found myself. Many sports teams compare themselves to families in how close-knit the teammates are. However, none is comparable to the close and intricate friendships that I have developed on the track team. As a co-ed and all-grade inclusive sport, track offered me a unique social opportunity that allowed for the mingling of grades and genders, which yielded the formation of special bonds and friendships with my teammates. Every day we spend two hours together at practice. Every week we join each other on long bus or car rides to meets, with early morning wake up calls. Often times, from dawn to dusk, I am with the team, spending more time with my track family than my real family. Yet, track is not only a family because of the time that we spend together, but it is recognizable as a family because of the endless love and support that is spread and received by teammates. Like a family, on track I found people that were always there for me. Collectively, all coaches and teammates on the team are there to support one another, encourage one another, and push one another to be the best they can be.

Overall, the track team became my home outside of home, and I wouldn’t replace this home and this family for anything in the world.

With the love and support that I received from my teammates I was able to individually flourish and grow. The track became an important outlet for me to develop and channel my individuality and facilitate my growth, not only as an athlete but also as an individual. In contrast to the times when I had followed in my sister’s footsteps, this time was different. I pursued track on my own. This generated feelings of vast accomplishment and pride, as I felt that I had my own place in the world, where I belonged. The track is where I planted my own seeds. It was the place where I sprouted away from my original roots and grew somewhere else in the world. During my whole life I felt that I was growing under the shadow of my sisters, but when I stepped onto the track I entered my other home, and I knew this is where I belonged and where I could truly be me.  Aside from the independence that I developed through track, I also grew in physical and in mental strength. Every practice and meet challenged me to continuously push myself as hard as I can. Therefore, track has strongly influenced my identity, and molded me into the individual I am today. 

From firsthand experience with my sisters, I know that family is not something you can leave. No matter how many intense fistfights broke out between us, or the endless trivial fights over stolen clothing and competing grades, my sisters and I love each, and family is forever. This being said, my track family too, is forever. Though the track family is largely composed of seniors, unavoidably meaning that this marks the last season we have competed together, this family is forever. Although they will be leaving this year, they will never leave my heart, for the friendships and memories that we created and shared are moments and experiences I will always treasure. The impact that track and my track family have had on my life are profound, from forming lifelong bonds to pushing me to grow as an individual distinct from my sisters, and these are things that will stay with me throughout my life.