Growing Up as the Youngest | Teen Ink

Growing Up as the Youngest

By trancindy BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana
trancindy BRONZE, New Orleans, Louisiana

There’s this stereotype that the youngest is always the favorite in the family, but I don’t think that’s true. Yes, there are some pros to being the youngest in the family, but there are also cons. For example, my parents are very lenient towards me when it comes to hanging out with friends, but they’re super strict on my siblings, especially my sister, who is the oldest of the children. They don’t really ask about what I’m doing, nor do they care if I go out just as long as I’m home before midnight; however, my parents definitely expect a lot from me. Both my brother and sister are incredibly smart, and they expect me to make straight A’s and get super high scores on standardized tests. Some days I don’t mind it, but there are also days where I feel like I’m being put down because the way my parents words things seems like I’m not quite on par with my siblings. Also, they don’t quite understand that the three of us are three different people, so none of us can be just like the other, but those are parents for you. They only mean well, so I’ve been trying my best to not argue with them when they start to compare us, and sometimes they don’t know any better. From my experience, being the youngest in the family is nice because my parents are a lot more lenient on me, and I also have the perk of having siblings to turn to for help, and although there are times that it can be annoying, I wouldn’t want to change it.