Worst Day of School | Teen Ink

Worst Day of School

April 27, 2018
By Joey.DeYoung BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
Joey.DeYoung BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

I knew I should've eaten something today, or just planned ahead and remembered to reset my alarm clock to the correct time, anything to prevent the upcoming unpleasant situation that laid only minutes away. The incident happened in Mrs. Groya’s 8th-grade health class. After a morning where I missed my alarm, woke up late, and didn't get to eat a headache was forming and I wasn't feeling well


As I'm walking into class tired, stomach growling with a dash of head pain, I stumble to my desk and wait for another hour of boringness. I can't think straight which makes it very difficult to actually understand whatever we’re learning.


Suddenly, I started having the symptoms of a line by Eminem’s, ‘Lose Yourself’: “His palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy.” I get dots in my eyes, I start sweating, and I feel lightheaded. Then, my ears start to ring and can't hear anymore. I put my head down in hopes of making it go away, but it persists. I'm not a diabetic, and the closest feeling I had to this was way less intense and happened when I stood up too fast after laying down.


My teacher notices what is happening, probably because she is a health teacher and my face is pale white. Stopping the class discussion and bending to lean over my desk, she says, “Joey, are you alright?” Not knowing if this will just pass or I'm not OK, I reply, “I don't know” She must've known that I wasn't, and told another student to bring a desk chair and wheel me down to the office and go home. My face is now a pinkish color due to the mixture of white and red, (from being embarrassed). The class silent, the kid slowly wheels me down while everybody stares.


They must all be talking about how dumb I am right now, I think as I'm slowly being pushed passed the other classrooms. As soon as I arrive in the office, the secretaries instantly notice my pale face. While I wait to get picked up, I can't help but think about how weird it will be to go back in that class tomorrow, with everyone looking at me, and how I'm the kid who almost passed out in front of everyone. As it turns out, nobody said anything and the days went on as normal. From that day on, I double check the alarm clock every single night.


The author's comments:

This is my embarrassing moment in middle school.