Charlie | Teen Ink

Charlie

`Charlie lived in the beautiful little city of La Crescenta in southern California, where the seasons never change and the tree leaves are always green. Charlie was a young boy. He loved to ride his scooter, play games on the Wii, play games on his DS, and he loved being with his family. He wasn’t just a typical kid, he loved to write long monologues based off of the work of Shakespeare. He had just concluded the summer break that he had spent writing for days on end and was plunged into 4th grade. He disliked school, but still stayed because of her, Alexis. She was his best friend, and still is to this day. They talked and laughed and played and made the best of school whenever they could. They had other friends too: Maria, Lauren, Brooklyn, Alex and Jackson. They had so much fun together. They traveled to each other's houses, had parties, played games, and could talk for hours without getting bored. His friends meant so much to him; They were practically his second family. They all enjoyed school and life because of each other, and it stayed that way for the rest of the year, and the year after that, and the year after that.

After the summer of 2015, middle school came and Charlie hated it. He had to go to a different school from everyone else. He and most of his friends kept in touch, but it wasn’t the same as seeing them every day. For awhile Charlie felt nothing but anger, pain, and sadness. Not seeing his old friends anymore destroyed him on the inside, and on the outside he wore a paper bag with a smile on it. Then he found them, his new friends: Tim, Audrey, Jackson, Kaydin, Tori, and David. He felt some happiness again in his life, and he felt like a human and not a shell of a former one. He was slowly putting himself back together and tore the bag to shreds. Then came eighth grade and his situation only got better. Charlie and Tim met Dylan, easily one of the funniest people they had ever met, and they’re all still great friends today. 8th grade was an awful year for school, but a great year for having friends. In his euphoria, Charlie applied to go to a different high school with Tim, Jackson, and Kaydin for almost no other reason besides, “Why not.” They were all accepted, but all declined the acceptance letter. All but one, Charlie. Charlie wanted to decline the letter but couldn’t. His mom and dad refused to let him, saying it would be a waste of an opportunity. Charlie is at that school now. He keeps in touch with all of his friends, from middle school and elementary, especially Alexis, Tim, Dylan, and Audrey. He hates the pain and sorrow of being alone, and felt destroyed yet again, taping the bag back together. Maybe one day he won’t feel that way ever again. This story isn’t just about Charlie though, it’s about all of the other people that have a life just like his. There is something rather sad about that fact, especially because all of those people are on one property.

This story heavily relates to my life transitioning to the school i'm in now.