My Experience Border Morris Dancing | Teen Ink

My Experience Border Morris Dancing

By WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin
WeirdosUnite GOLD, Prairie Farm, Wisconsin

"Give me your hands if we be friends, and Robin shall restore amends"~Puck, A Midsummer Night's Dream

First of all, Border Morris Dancing is one of many styles of Morris Dancing. It comes from the English/Welsh border, and the dancers wear rag vests and use big sticks and sometimes use charcoal on their faces. Most teams wear bells on their legs. My team wears cans.

I have been dancing for about two years now, and I love every second of it. It's hard, fun, and just plain amazing. every time I learn a new dance it's like a burst of energy goes through me and I want to keep practicing it again and again until I can preform it.

Morris Dancing is a good workout, but it's one that I don't really mind. It's not that hard, if you LOVE it like I do.

I have gone to several Morris events, where I have met lots of other dancers and watched new styles. I have seen Border, Cotswold, Rappar Sword, Longsword, Clogging, and Mumming. All of the styles are unique, but Border is my favorite. It's so energizing, and I always feel really energetic when I'm done dancing.

I have my favorite dances, my in between dances, and the dances that I don't like that much but still do, because I love Morrising. It's FUN.

I hope I NEVER stop dancing, because Morris Dancing has really become a HUGE part of my life. It's helped boost my self confidance, and I've learned a lot along the way and met a lot of really cool people.

Border Morris Dancing has a certain...energy about it, and if you don't really like it, I'm not sure you'd feel that energy. That's the way I found out I loved it: I felt that energy right away.

I love Border dancing and I wanted to share my experiences with people. If you want MORE information, Wikipedia is a good place to look:) And if you have questions, feel free to ask.