The Vending Machine | Teen Ink

The Vending Machine

By wonderkay4 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
wonderkay4 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida

"Throw roses into the abyss and say: 'here is my thanks to the monster that didn't succeed in swallowing me alive'"

I shove the thin coins into the machine. It lights up as I tap the buttons staring at me. Then, I stand there waiting, waiting, and waiting. My throat clenches and my legs shift forward for lack of patience. The claws in the contraption move up and down until it reaches its destination. It juts out and grabs hold. Firmly grasping the victim, the metallic claw heads down to the basin of blackness. A crash vibrates its inner walls as the object is released. The machine lights up again as if nothing had happened. I bend down and open up the basin. I find the cylindrical object laying there, rolling around. I carefully grab it and flip up the silver tab blocking off all the goodness inside. I tilt back my head as the bubbly sensation clings to my throat. A sugary residue is left on my tongue. The desert becomes a jungle. The sun becomes the moon. In that moment, it is done. I walk away and the fizzling sounds follows. 

Destrehan said...
on Jan. 9 2017 at 11:40 am
You captured the experience I have every time I get a Diet Coke out of the machine at work!

ellie said...
Wonderfully written just enough descriptive suspense to keep you interested. Good use of analogy. The ending of "fizzling" was tanalizing.