Contentment | Teen Ink

Contentment

December 12, 2016
By Aubrey20 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
Aubrey20 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside of you. -Maya Angelou


Silence is a lingering thought as dauntless unite charging, stopped abruptly at the cliff. We watch falling bodies begging for everyone to return home at the edge of the volcano. Tutu’s flutter while Tinkerbell hangs off the brim in horror of returning to the real world beyond the border of my brain. I don’t feel safe anywhere besides being in my own head. My mind encourages me as I feel the rooms clashing never knowing who or what’s coming next. In this society everyone has the academy award for best actor until they kill someone. I feel that I have no safe haven to close myself into when in a costume store called the world. I parade around going through space to space while finding that no place is ever as content as my own mind. My mind has yet to betray me; upon entrance I am able to release the cuffs labeled perfection and step through the door of freedom. I am able to experience unity and alliance as I become myself. Through the travel roads in my mind I experience content because I am free.

The hunger of contentment is only ever fed through mindless opportunities and abilities. In a persons’ mind they capture the ability of an artist in front of an easel, a poet talking about Langston Hughes, or a dancer on a stage. My mind is to comparison, it’s like my built in safe haven that instills stability. I am able to escape if only for a second the fear of death creeping up on all humanity, tears from my lack of perfection, and depression that demands to be felt unless locked away in the prison of my mind. I’m enclosed by relaxation that gives me a break from trying to scurry around and pretend to be okay with the setup of the stage before me. The struggles of taking a breath and knowing that I have to plaster a smile on my face and repeat “okay” until I win my academy award,  before I can shut down and let my mind soothe me with thoughts that help escort me to safety. I am only content when wrapped in my mind trying to find a release.

The feeling of running in the park as a kid not worrying about anything, is a moment forever trapped in my head. Its slides and swings that seem to be in a continuous loop while I laugh uncontrollably. My mind gives me freedom of a child wrapping its arms around me to help me when I fall, and carry me when I’m tired. I feel content as my mind develops and bends to my every need while I continue to grow. It’s my system of communication that never fails to help me come back up. Contentment comes to me flowing freely as it creates barriers between me and whatever problem roars beyond my brain. The dauntless stop, the people at a standstill, and Tinkerbell froze, because they all share one thing in common. Once beyond my barrier of satisfaction contentment could never be found at the level that was reached in my mind. Distance memories of control as each individual slowly backs away before overcoming bridges that allows them to close the gap of contentment and reality.


The author's comments:

I was motivated to write this when asked for a paper describing your safe place.