A Bad Day | Teen Ink

A Bad Day

August 5, 2016
By shravyakatapally9 SILVER, Atalanta , Georgia
shravyakatapally9 SILVER, Atalanta , Georgia
7 articles 6 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Remember your roots, but don't forget to grow into a tree."


I get home from school, throw my bag on the floor, and slam the door. I hear my mothers' footsteps as she approaches, and addresses me through the door, "Aww, honey. Are you having a bad day?"


Mom, I wish it were that simple. It's not just a bad day or a long week, or tough times. It's panic attacks on the bus when I'm getting home from school, or nights racked with anxiety, where I stay up because my brain haunts me with the fear of failure or the fear of not being able to live the way I want.


But all of this is okay, it only chokes me.


The worst ones, are the days I wake up looking for reasons to live. And my brain is scrambling to find some, to prove to myself that there is a reason to go out there, to get through the day. And I can barely say what I want I really want to, much less write it. And smiling, or laughing; it feels as though I'm trying to accomplish rolling a two-ton boulder uphill. It feels like I'm swimming upstream, with chains around my legs.


Yeah, now that's a bad day.


So, I try not to let anyone see my tears, because I can't explain them.


"Yes, Ma- it's just a bad day."


"Ugh, it's been such a long week, you have no idea, Mom."


But my red and puffy eyes don't fool her. "What happened, dear?"


Nothing, Ma.


Nothing at all.


The author's comments:

What inspired you to write this piece?

A bad day.