The Deer in Early Morning | Teen Ink

The Deer in Early Morning

By Zoe.Z BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio
Zoe.Z BRONZE, Cleveland, Ohio

A snowy day. It was six thirty in the morning, while the snow falls like a gift from heaven, deliberately and tranquilly. Neither the sunlight nor the noisy snow plows has been waken by a clamorous crowd who rush to work. The accumulation of snow on land seems to be a thick blanket while the snow warms, embraces, and nourishes the soil with it chilly body.

Early morning is always a perfect time to capture the moment of silence in the world. Shivering in the piercing wind, I walked alone, on a shadowy path through the woods to go to school. The snow permeated through my boots , and I realized that I trod a new path while each of my footprint melted the snow. I believed that others are going to follow my track before the new snow would blur it. When I was still delight to be the first adventurer in this morning, I saw another series of footprints. I looked around and found that they spread over the grove in the dorm circle. They were accomplished by deers at night. I rarely meet deers in campus and I used to think that they are too timid to travel in sunlight. But just as I woke up early in order to escape the crowd, the deers become nocturnal adventurers to explore the beauty in silence.

At the moment my footprints paved a path, the solitude grants me an opportunity to discover the serenity in nature. I stepped on the deer’s footprints on purpose to draw connection with it in a childish way.

Contemplating and following the deer’s track, I was shunned when I saw a deer blocked my way near the entrance of the school building. Under the tree, his horn seemed like branches in wind. We were so close and I was able to touch him if I stretch out my arms.

He did not step back, nor did I. Either he was also shunned by my existence, or he was waiting for me, who was his only company in this early morning. When we exchanged a long glance, I felt that I am no longer lonely or alone. The time froze when our eye fixed, but the heat in the school building remind me that we had gone back to our own world as he disappeared in the rising sun.

This is a nature journal inspired by an ordinary experience on my way to school in a winter morning. The deer which I encountered make me no longer feel alone in the vast nature.