The Story of Us | Teen Ink

The Story of Us

By madi_mills_ BRONZE, Halifax, Other
madi_mills_ BRONZE, Halifax, Other

I’ve wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. There’s just always been something that I’ve always loved about creating new worlds and controlling what happens in them. I used to imagine that I was a character in my own story, and think about how everything would play out. Would I be a leading lady, or just a side character? The sad truth was, I was living day after day, following the same old, dull routines. But, every story has an igniting incident, and he was mine.

It’s funny, because like with most stories, I never knew he was going to become so important. I thought he would just be another face i’d be passing in the hallways for the next few years of my life. Boy, was i wrong. Everything about him was great, even if I was the only one on the planet who thought that. It was the way he would get so excited about “childish things” like swing sets and competitions, and how he would smile all the time, for no reason whatsoever. The way he walked with a bounce in his step and laughed at his own stupid jokes. Letting a day go by without talking to him, was a day wasted, and if i wasn’t talking to him, he was certainly on my mind.

I couldn’t tell you the exact moment I realized I loved him. Maybe it was when we had our first kiss, or I think it could have been before that, when we looked each other in the eyes and for the first time I wasn’t focused on the forest green of his iris, but on the sparkle that was beneath it. That sparkle became the thing that drove me out of bed every morning, and convinced me to do all of the stupid stuff i did with him, because I would do anything to make it light up. There was even a moment when his eyes would sparkle just by looking at me. That’s when I thought I had him, that he was mine.

I later found out that people don’t belong to people, and that all of the things we used to do together wouldn’t be enough to keep the fire in his eyes ignited anymore. When somebody you figured would be around forever leaves, in the middle of a sentence, it hurts. Then I realized that he had come into my life when there was nothing but a bland routine and had shaken things up for me to want to go to school everyday because I never knew what to expect. He was my plot twist, the guy who made me excited for all of the pages ahead, and I love him for that. 

It wasn't a what that inspired me, but a who.