My Different Kind of Dad | Teen Ink

My Different Kind of Dad

December 17, 2015
By jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
jevinaw GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
12 articles 0 photos 0 comments

My dad isn’t your typical, all-American Pop. He doesn’t barbecue every summer weekend, go hunting or fishing, and certainly doesn’t exercise. He just likes to spend time with his family, watching TV. It doesn’t sound like he’s a particularly spectacular father, but allow me to explain.
           

He’s certainly an inspiration, being that he works harder than anyone I know. While everyone was partying their life away, my dad focused on school. My grandparents were always working immigrants and couldn’t help him most of the time. But he was ambitious and became a self-grown entrepreneur. He and his business partner currently own many different business establishments and always explore new ventures. I'd call him pretty successful by now, but my dad’s work ethic has never faltered.


But all of this doesn't come easy. On a typical night, he’ll come home after midnight. While a regular father may finish work at five in the afternoon, he fulfills his boss duties late at night. He lives off of minimal sleep, and everyone says he's crazy to be doing this to himself. Money isn't as important as his health. But I understand why he works so hard. He wants to make more money, yes, but the money is for us. One of his biggest objectives is to be able to provide his wife and kids with whatever we could need or want. Although we’d all rather have him home more often, we appreciate the fact that my dad strives to make more because he loves us.
   

Besides his love for us, I’m also grateful to have inherited many of his traits. Though I couldn’t escape loudness, stubbornness, and quick-temper, I’m glad to have gotten his determination. I already have big dreams that I know I will chase after when the time comes. With our similarities brings a connection that sometimes my mom can’t even understand, but that we can.
   

So even though my dad isn’t home early enough to shout, “Honey, I’m home,” I enjoy the time we have together, like Sunday brunch to grocery shopping to vacations. Although others might find chilling on the sofa with their dad to be a bit dull, I wouldn’t have it any other way.