The Jump of Life | Teen Ink

The Jump of Life

November 26, 2015
By MaryamR GOLD, Home, Texas
MaryamR GOLD, Home, Texas
15 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life is a story. Make yours a best seller.


I shrieked as Ali pointed the hose at me, spraying my entire body with soaking cold water. I tried to stay mad, but it actually felt good on this hot sweaty day. Giggling I ran up to him and caught him by surprise as I kicked him in the back of the knees. As he staggered, I took the bright green hose from him and grinned evilly. "Don't you dare!" He yelled as he started to back away. My older sister who could sense a fight brewing quickly stepped in between us and chirped, " Hey, why don't we play a game?"
    

Though she was younger than my older brother Ali, she could be pretty smart...usually. Laughing I turned the hose off, "Sure" I exclaimed. She looked around and then pulled us over to the swing set. We all plopped down and I relaxed. The sun beat down on our skin, and even the weather seemed to be lazy. The birds glided in and out of the trees, the grass tickled my toes in an annoying way, and the fence creaked as the wind swayed it back and forth. My soaking shirt started to dry and was sticking to my hot skin. My dark hair burned with the sun's shining rays on it. My sister brought me back to the present as she started to explain, "We'll play truth or dare, but the rules will be a little different. If you pick truth you lose a point and if you pick dare you get two points? Ok?" "Okey dokey," I replied. I bounced up and down on my seven year old legs getting rid of my bubbling energy.
    

We began and soon it was my turn. Excitement bubbled in the pit if my stomach and my fingers tingled. I obviously picked dare. Ali and Zehra whispered together and peered at me. Ali nodded and said to me, " I dare you to jump from the ladder over there." I looked around and saw an old metal ladder propped up against the roof of our house where my dad was working to get the tennis ball out that was stuck in the gutter. I groaned, " I'm only seven, that's impossible!" My brother smirked, "I could do it!"


I growled and said, " Yah and you’re what? SIX YEARS OLDER!"

 

"Fine we'll all do it," he replied.
    

We walked up to the ladder and started with the first ring. He climbed up and jumped off, and so did we. It's started to get a little harder after the tenth step. My older sister backed out soon and by the 15th step my brother was getting tired to. Soon he said,"If you climb the 20th step(which was 3 less than the very top) you win and I'll give you my brownie when we get inside. Wordlessly I started to climb up making sure not to look down. The wind brushed my jet black hair swiftly away from my face. And as I reached the top I turned around and shuddered. The ground was so far away and so scary looking I didn't know what to do. Too late though.
    

Panic started to rise up my throat. I gulped and tried to calm down. It was always me that got stuck in these situations. Sweat silently rolled down my forehead. My teeth trembled in spite of the burning day. But I sighed big, closed my eyes tight and then I jumped.
    

The lazy leaves drifting down toward the ground caught in my hair, and the fast rush of wind filled my ears. I braced my legs for the fall, and extended my arms. I reached the ground fast and hard. The palms of my hands hit the ground quickly and a throbbing pain shot up my arm. I groaned and rolled over. I could hear my sister in the background screaming at my brother, and my brother screaming to stop screaming at him. But really, I'd felt worse before. The pain ended quickly but my arm felt like it was vibrating.
    

I shook it off and stood up, smiling wide. My siblings stared at me a little impressed, but not admitting it, then started to chuckle. Ali clapped dramatically and soon Zehra joined in. I raised my eyebrows and bowed. Even though it was scary it felt good to be able to do something my siblings couldn't. Soon all of us laughing we started to walk toward the swing set, but froze when we heard a throat clear in the background. Turning around simultaneously we faced an angry, wicked, scary creature. It growled and it's eyes seemed to glow red. It's dark hair fanned behind itself; this creature was also known as my mom. "What in the world do you think you were doing," she screeched. My knees trembled and  I thought, I'd jump off a million ladders over my angry mom any day.


The author's comments:

This is a throwback to when life was stress free.