Moving Day | Teen Ink

Moving Day

September 30, 2015
By Nickstubbs101 SILVER, Wilmington DE, Delaware
Nickstubbs101 SILVER, Wilmington DE, Delaware
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was a little into the second marking period of my freshman year of High School. I had just come home from my first swim practice at my soon to be ex high school. My heart was racing as my after school bus arrived at my house and there was a massive U-Haul truck in my driveway. I remember thinking as I walked to my house “Maybe my mom is just giving some of our furniture away to her friends”. I was soon to find out that this was no giveaway but actually a moving day.

I grabbed my key out my book bag as I seen men taking couches and tables out of my house into the U-Haul truck. I opened the door and my mom was waiting on the couch as if she had been waiting for me to come from practice. I asked her what is going on with strong uneasiness in my voice. My mom sat me down and told me we were moving and that I would be going to an entire new high school as of Monday. My heart sunk to bottom of my chest. The district I was in I had been in since Pre-Kindergarten so moving from all my friends was a very big concern for me. I was also extremely shy and anti-social so I wondered how I would make friends in a brand new environment especially in High School.  

I asked my mom why and she stared at me blankly took a deep breath and said it’s just something we have to do. I went to my room only to find out that my bed, drawers and clothes were all packed up in the U-Haul truck ready to arrive at my soon-to-be new home. I was furious I felt all these sudden emotions fly through me and it made me angry. I was frustrated that now I had to leave all my friends, my neighbors, my community and everything I knew for “something we just had to do”. After the U-Haul was all packed up we drove to our new home. The new home was so far away from our old home and kind of smaller.

I felt as if our new home was in the middle of nowhere. The house was really far back into the woods that there is actually a long whine of trees to get to the front of the community. The neighborhood was very nice but also very quiet which wasn’t a norm for me at my ex home. The community wasn’t too diverse there were a lot of Caucasians. Coming from a very diverse neighborhood this was extremely different for me. My mom excitedly urges to get out of the car and see our brand new home. The attitude of me and my siblings were displaying acts of agitation and annoyance as we proceeded to get out the car I walk slowly and reflect on how this is going to become my new life.

The house was very apartment looking which is something I like about the home to this day. My mom pulled out two blue folders from her purse she was looking over them heavily. I was very curious so I asked what they were she told me “oh these are you guys new schools you will be attending I took a visit to the schools and they were very nice and you will have no problems” she smiled at me but I was too annoyed and angry to even give a response so I just left the room. Moving was very hard for me it wasn’t easy a lot of incidences transpired before and after moving that it cause me to be more aggressive and hard-headed.

Living in this new location for over a year now has made me come to terms with moving and where I am at. I look back sometimes and think why was I so angry if only I looked at the situation with and open-mind I would of avoided the aggressive attitude. I really enjoy where I am at I have a close group of friends that I have made that I will probably be friends with for the rest of my life and I met and amazing people and stayed in contact with my old friends so moving overall wasn’t as bad as it seems it surely does get better.
 


The author's comments:

To help other kids who might be moving from and old location to a new one that it will get better