ACLAMO | Teen Ink

ACLAMO

September 4, 2015
By nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania
nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania
8 articles 14 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"The world is but a canvas to our imagination." Henry David Thoreau


I joined Spanish club as a way to experience different cuisine and learn the language better. However, there was an after-school volunteer program offered in addition. The program is called ACLAMO and it is an after-school program for children who come from less fortunate Spanish-speaking households. The kids come to do their homework, eat a provided snack, and learn more English. As a volunteer there, I help put together the snack boxes with nutritious fruits, milk, and nuts as a source of protein. The experience of helping children with their work is very rewarding. Since I know a little Spanish and they know a little English, we learn from each other how to communicate better.


After helping each kid finish his or her homework, the volunteers are allowed to play games with the kids. The games are all the classics including chess, checkers, twister, etcetera. One day I played chess with a boy named Carlos. He was very strategic and beat me multiple times. These kids are smart, clever, and witty. I love volunteering there because I feel the experience is rewarding.


ACLAMO in Spanish means ‘I acclaim’ or praise. These program is praise worthy in and of they give children a place to be when their parents are at work or they feed a poor child for no-charge to the family or they provide new school supplies such as a workbook and folders to the children. This non-profit organization designed for children is praise-worthy and truly a privilege to volunteer for.