Helping Hands Find a Way | Teen Ink

Helping Hands Find a Way

By nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania
nncrocks SILVER, Villanova, Pennsylvania

"The world is but a canvas to our imagination." Henry David Thoreau

Every chance I get, I escape to a sanctuary on the main road next to a crowded Starbucks, in Southeastern Pennsylvania, known as the Ludington Library. This library accommodates many community members including the high school/college student cramming for exams to the child whom glances at new words to the senior citizen collecting free reads for the weekend. Many people experience new words and writings for free. The only exception to this great system is the library has loads of books to put away due to the fact so many are returned at once. This is how a volunteer, such as myself, helps out. By simply putting books back in the right section, I lessen the load for the busy staff. The work of finding the right place for each book while I’m listening to music is relaxing to say the least. It’s also a bonus that I have access to the most popular books right away (unless they’re on hold for someone else)! Furthermore, I get a sense of belonging and community when I wheel my cart around to different corners of the library, observing different acts of education. I admit I started doing this to complete a community service quota for school, but I started to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere and the overall fulfillment of helping out. The staff really appreciate my efforts. I even meet interesting individuals that ask me to locate certain books for them. Each day is a new discovery in which I find contentment in my service to others. 

I would like this piece entered for the Community Service Award. After teens read this article, I hope they find a way to help out a local organization such as a library or hospital just for the satisfaction of helping.