Letter To My 21 Year Old Self | Teen Ink

Letter To My 21 Year Old Self

May 10, 2015
By MaKeira GOLD, Eagle Lake, Minnesota
MaKeira GOLD, Eagle Lake, Minnesota
10 articles 1 photo 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
I am not the brightest crayon in the box, and I may not be your favorite, but i'm not worried because some day you'll need me to finish your picture. ~ Unknown to me who made the quote


Dear 21 year old MaKeira,
  How are you? Everyday struggles becoming rotuine at this point in life. Life is interesting isn't it? Our life so small yet part of a way bigger idea. Guess what you've grown up..well at least in the matter of age. I don't think you'll ever be old at heart which is good I encourage the youthful will, and sights for adventure. At this point assuming your in college you have some big decisions to make, and no it's not about what to do with your hair. Now's the time to choose who you want to be, and where you want to be accomplishment wise, and then even who you want to be in society. It's time to decide follow what your told and be molded by the views, and standards of the world that surrounds you, or take a risk to be who you are to live life to the fullest the best way you know how to despite what outside influences there are.
  So at this point I am writing out to you with the thought that you are 21 years old. So far in your life you've had Leukemia been cured, relapsed and been cured again.  You went from living with your mom, and one sister to ypur dad, stepmom, and step siblings. You made it through at least from my current knowledge one blood infection along with having found out that you have an extra bone in your knee. Have you gotten that removed yet? ? Ten years after being free of the reigns of cancer you find out you have type two dianetes. All of this and just breaking the molds of the 16 years, and breaking into the exploration of the 17th year of life.
  So I know your probably wondering how this ties into being yourself, or being molded by society, but it does. Think about this. A small pale, and twig thin child in a hospital room alone both mom, and dad are gone. alone in the room chicken noodle soup on her small shaky hands. Wathching the Little Rascals  at leat the millionth time. Blanket pulled up to the very top of her bald alien like head. How do you feel? What are you thinking? How would you say anything to her that wasn't unlike everything she has already been told hundreds of times? She doesn't know what will happen in the furture, just that ther will be a furture. Will she go to college, or acheive her goal of becoming a doctor? Those all around her had doubts, and may have often thought no, but the only thing she knows is that the soup is cold, and mostly uneatten. The movie is on another round of repeating, and as her nurse changes the IV bag to stop the most annoying beeping of the machine. All she knows is that she's drifting into sleep. Not afraid of snything. Unkown wether it's sleep  or death once she closes her eyes.  not relying on the words " It will be okay." or " You're doing fine, just keep on."  not lostening to the words dpoken by all the faces of uncertian smiles. This was you being the only you that you could be at the time. look at your life now and choose.
  You may not remember but in tenth grade you read The Masque if the Red Death, by Bethany Griffon. The book shows of a crumbling sick world dictated by a self proclaimedking. No efforts made to help this being because of rules, or lack there of is debateable by person. Arby realizes that she needs to decide wether to live as this controlled minion, or fight for what she knows is righ no matter the cost. She is met with some typical modern day challenges as well. Both Will and Elliot are handsome menm but both are not as they appear. Prince Charming isn't always who you think its going to be.
  In the  short story Happy To Be Home, by Rachel Brokaw we see how all family lives are diffrent , and how sometimes it seems like we dont belong. Realizing after a fieldtrip that this is where she belongs, and is lucky to belong there Harriet has a new perspective, and is happy to have her home with all it's quirks to call home.
  Wil you find inspiration within yourself, or continue to be used? No pressure whatever you choose, but remember you are me, and I am you. Reading all these diffrent books and stories alike has helped me form my ideas. You can have yourself taken away by the choices that you make. Playying victim to something  that if you truly tried you could change, or maybe to just step out and be who you know you are, who I am. My views are strong, although my points may be weak, but I am still a fragile mind at 17 let your thoughts flow free, and keep on beingyou being me. 
                                                 From: Your 17 year old self.


The author's comments:

This was an assignment that we had to do for my tenthgrade English class. We had to Write A letter to ourselves at either 21 years, or 9 years old. I thought to  write to my 21 year old self so that I could hopefully read it when i'm 21 or around that age. to see if my own words now impact, or make any sense to me.
  My teacher gave me a 20/20 and said.. " I'm speechless! you have such a strong voice in your writing! Please don't stop!"
This and my Untitled poem are the two paprers that triggered her to get me to share my writings to the veiwers of the world.