Midnight Run | Teen Ink

Midnight Run

By mikaylarosee13 GOLD, Sparkill, New York
mikaylarosee13 GOLD, Sparkill, New York

“I have the choice of being constantly active and happy or introspectively passive and sad. Or I can go mad by ricocheting in between.” -Sylvia Plath

Despite my layers of warm winter clothes, my nose was rosy pink and my toes were numb. It is only October, but it was late at night so it felt like a chilly January day.

My hands are automatically folding the scarves. I guess that’s an effect of a retail job.

“Hey lovie. You got any hats, scarves, or mittens?”

I handed her a tan knitted hat. She put it on over her greasy blonde hair. “Do you like it?”

“It’s perfect! Do you got any small pants? I’m a child’s size 8, so even a 00 is too small but I just need somthin’, ya know?” Her sunken in cheeks reflect her emasculated body hidden under her winter clothes. Her yellow teeth suggest a possible drug habit but her friendly smile hints at her welcoming nature.
I handed her pink corduroy pants with an elastic waist, hoping they would fit her.

We continue to chat. She tells me that mittens are better than gloves to sleep in because they keep your hands warmer. I handed her skii mittens, the kind with a waterproof exterior.

“Alright lovie, I’ll try to stay warm tonight. Ya do the same!”

“Would you like my scarf? I have lots of them and this one is nice and warm. Plus, it matches your new hat!” After a little nudging, I finally convinced her to take the tan knitted scarf from Old Navy.

As we drove away from the stop on our midnight run, I felt a warmth that my scarf hadn’t given me.