Responsibility shapes many lives | Teen Ink

Responsibility shapes many lives

October 22, 2014
By Darshan.Patel BRONZE, Plainsboro, New Jersey
Darshan.Patel BRONZE, Plainsboro, New Jersey
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

There are many things in a life of a teenager; whether it is graduating high school, accomplishing achievements, etc. But the one big excitement for me was the time I learnt to drive. All throughout my young life, I have seen my parents drive me around places, and millions of individuals driving on the road. Even though I have never driven ever, besides in video games, I was really eager to learn something new, useful,  and fascinating in life. Little did I know, that responsibility is going to play a huge role in my life.
In the last couple of months of my sophomore year, I had gone out to a parking lot to retrieve my car. Now being me, I wanted to be that guy who doesn’t follow the rules; and so I hit the accelerator hard and crashed into another car reversing behind me. That rushed all the adrenaline to my head and scared the crap out of my life. That same night, I had promised myself I would never drive again. The one important thing I learned from this, besides looking back before starting to reverse, was that mistakes will always happen. And the only way to learn are through mistakes and facing them, no matter how many accidents occur.

Couple months before my accident, my Dad had been driving to school to pick up my brother and I. As he was driving, another car had hit him at 50 mph right on the driver’s side. THe conditions of the road at the time were icy and snowy. With this in mind, I thought the car had at least flipped over to the side. As I felt a little scared, I started to think; even though it was not my dad’s fault, he still got hurt. As I got home, I had learnt that he had been fine, and was not hurt at all. But the fact the car getting totaled scared me. I learned that even though it’s not your fault, you can still get hurt in various ways.At the times when itis your fault, your going to have to face it and learn from the mistake.
These two accidents not only showed me how to face my life situations, or how badly you can hurt others when it was not meant, but it showed me the true value of responsibility. My accident taught me that what ever you are doing, you should be
responsible for it, even after making mistakes. Responsibility showed me to face my mistakes and learn how to avoid them. If I had looked behind me before reversing, I definitely would have not hit the car behind me. My dad’s accident showed me that when driving you should be responsible for yourself and others on the road next to you. In one situation you might get hurt, but in another you might even hurt someone else; even though you did not mean to. Being responsible on the road can save a new life every day. Why take someone’s life and feel guilty for the rest of your life, when you can just take one easy step and be responsible. Responsibility shaped my life and made who I am today.