KIngs vs Rangers Game 2 | Teen Ink

KIngs vs Rangers Game 2

October 3, 2014
By Steve Naldzhyan BRONZE, La Canada, California
Steve Naldzhyan BRONZE, La Canada, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One of the funnest events of my life was when me and my father had box seats for game 2 of the NHL Stanley Cup Finals on June 7th, 2014. It was Los Angeles’s very own Los Angeles Kings against the New York Rangers. The game took place at where the King’s and almost every other Los Angeles team plays, the Staples Center. The Los Angeles Kings had already won the first game in the series putting them up in the series 1 game to none. This second game was a very big game. The winner of the game had momentum, going back to play game 3 in New York. The Los Angeles KIng’s came out to a very slow start in the first period, much like they had the whole year. They also had a slow second period. But just like the same King’s team that whole year, they came back to tie it up in the third period. The game eventually went to overtime, and the Los Angeles King’s scored to win it in overtime. The game was nationally televised not only in the United States but also in Canada, Russia and many other European countries. This event was one of the biggest events not only in America but in the world. I attended because my family is all big time King’s fans. One of my mom’s biggest clients is Nike. The CEO of Nike in Los Angeles is one of my mom’s best clients and very good friend. She is a season ticket holder for box seats. So my mother without even believing she would say yes, asked for two tickets. Of course the lady did have two tickets. So the next day after receiving the tickets, my mom surprised my dad and me with two tickets. My dad and I were so excited when she surprised us with the tickets. Both my father and I wouldn’t miss the game for the world.
Hockey is one of the biggest sports, not only in North America, but in the whole world. For me to be able to say I watched one of the sport’s biggest games live on stage is something I really am happy and appreciative about. Not many people get to have the experience that I had at that game. Not only was at one of the biggest game’s in the world, but I was also in box seats. These seats are worth anywhere around $5,000 each. For my mom to get these tickets for free is amazing. The fact that the King’s won made it 50000 times better for my father and I.
From attending this event, I really learned how big Hockey is becoming in Southern California. Hockey is meant to be played in generally cold, frozen areas. Southern California is the polar opposite of that. Southern California is known for its hot weather. Hockey is now fastly growing in Southern California and I love it. The fact that the King’s have won two Stanley Cup Championships in three years is helping hockey grow more and more.
This event meant a lot to me. It showed me how much I really loved hockey. It also showed me that there are many more hockey fans than i expected. It really showed me how I’m not as big of a hockey fan as I thought I was. I thought I was one of the biggest hockey fans around, but when I went to that game, boy was I wrong. After this game and event I realized how much love for sports there is in this city. This city is not just a bunch of artsy fartsy hollywood people. There is still some love for sports and manly things in this city. This event made me learn that I even though I hate most of the teams in this city (with the exception of the kings and because my family is all boston fans), I should still respect the sports teams.
This event was a great thing for me. I had a great time watching one of my favorite things and I had a great father son bond with my dad. This event reminded me of the two poems we read at the beginning of the year, “Slam, Dunk and Hook” by Yusef Komenyuka and “Fast Break” by Edward Hirsch. Just like how basketball was more than a game for the boys in the poems, hockey is more than a game for the men playing on the ice. The sport was a way of life for both the characters in the poems and for the players on the ice. The biggest thing I got out of the event was how everyone in Los Angeles is not just a bunch of Hollywood Rich people. People in Los Angeles still have that pride in the teams that they love and there sports.