The First Step | Teen Ink

The First Step

By klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan
klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan

“People ask me when I start one of these projects, what is your theme? I haven’t the faintest idea. That’s why you’re writing the book, it seems to me, to find out. To me, it’s a journey. It’s an adventure. It’s traveling in a country you’ve never been in and everything is going to be new, and because of that, vivid. And don’t make up your mind too soon. Let it be an experience.” —David McCullough

Have you ever been so nervous and excited at the same time that your palms sweat and you could care less? That is how I felt and the extremely warm Monday morning four years ago. I remember it all so clear, yet how could I forget the first time I showed a sheep, yes a sheep with wool and hooves. The black lamb chewed nervously on the blue and white rope halter that I gripped tightly in my hand. I stood in the group of people and sheep waiting to enter the arena. My mother stood beside me patiently, with no worry in her eyes. The man asked if anyone wanted to enter the ring first. I stood back as no one stepped forward and stared at the man. I pulled the halter off my impatient lamb and handed it to my mother before taking a breath. With my dirty black cowboy boots I took the first and best step of my life, the step that would lead me to so many amazing places.