Sweet Freedom | Teen Ink

Sweet Freedom

May 5, 2014
By Alyssa Storey BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
Alyssa Storey BRONZE, Metairie, Louisiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The sun was shining bright and after sixteen years of waiting, the day was finally here. The smell of sweet freedom wavered off the tip of my nose and I could practically see that little rectangular card engraved with “Driver’s License” and my own name glimmering in my blue eyes. I woke up just being a single step away from getting my greatly anticipated license.

My heart was racing as though it was a NASCAR speeding down an open track. I left my home unsure if I would even pull up in my circular driveway with my license in hand, causing my mind to wonder. I hopped into the car with my mom feeling as though I was the queen of the world, but deep down my body trembled in fear. I pondered the thought, “What if I fail? How embarrassing would that be?” But on the ride to school, which felt like an eternity, my mother assured me that I will pass. The continuous five words raced through my mind, “Alyssa, you know how to drive.” As my mother and I pulled up to the Assembly Center, I knew the time had come and the rapid fluttering of the butterflies that filled my empty stomach momentarily stopped.

As I approached the stairs of the Assembly Center, Mrs. Bean greeted me with a wide smile. I continuously told myself to remain calm as we approached the gold car that was no longer marketed as “Student Driver.” I was filled with excitement knowing that I could possibly be gaining my long anticipated freedom if I pass this simple, quick ten minute driving test. I swung open the driver door, sat down, and said a quick prayer to myself. Mrs. Bean explained to me the simple rules of the driving test—“I will explain to you the path we will take. You must receive an 80 or higher in order to pass the driving portion of this test.” At this moment, I felt a sigh of relief assuring myself that I could do it. I straighten up my back and stuck the key into the ignition, it was go time. My sweaty palms gripped the steering wheel as though I was holding on for dear life. I apprehensively listened to the directions which Mrs. Bean’s stated and proceeded to alternate lanes with great caution. Traveling down Harrison Avenue, I came to the realization that I had been worrying for nothing, the driving test isn’t as nerve racking as everyone made it out to be. I continuously take my eyes of the road to check the speedometer for a millisecond, fearing that I was speeding. I felt as though I had been driving for years and there was no doubt in my mind that I would soon be a licensed driver. As I drove back to school, all my fears and doubts instantaneously left my body and my face sparkled with glee. I pulled back into the empty parking lot and Mrs. Bean congratulated me as being the newest license driver in New Orleans. As much as I wanted to sprint out the car, scream, and jump, I tried my best to contain my excitement. Mrs. Bean and I paraded into the Assembly Center office assuring my mother that I passed and erasing all of her doubts on whether or not I was a good driver. All the final paperwork was signed and all I know had to do was get my actual license. I felt as though I had awoken from the dream I’d been in for the past sixteen years. I would no longer have to beg my parents to drive me around, freedom was officially mine.