Caroline, The Girl With Four Personalities | Teen Ink

Caroline, The Girl With Four Personalities

By Makaylah BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas
Makaylah BRONZE, Fort Riley, Kansas

She always said I was very special to her. I was all she had, her best friend. And the others knew that. But then again, they never really knew anything at the same time. She was seen so differently by the others. By her peers, her teachers, and even her own family. Her name was Caroline, after her grandmother. She loved her name.

They kids at school, well, they weren’t really kids. They were just too immature and ignorant to be called anything else. They called her Carol, of course knowing about how much she hated it. I think how it’s sad that they never truly knew about Caroline, and how they mocked and made fun of her. They only ever saw her as Carol. The girl who didn’t do anything and had failing grades because she was worthless. Carol, the girl who didn’t have any friends because nobody liked her. The girl who played with her nails and bit the top layer of skin from her lip because she was a weirdo and a freak. The one who was so easy, she even got pregnant. We laugh at that. They knew her as Carol, the girl who had shuddered at the “S” word whenever it was spoken, and who hid the red inked drawings under her sleeves. Carol, poor nothing Carol, who meant absolutely nothing to them. They always made sure she knew that.

The teachers weren’t as bad. They actually quite loved Caroline and her brilliant, smart brain. I liked how they respected her enough to call her Caroline, unlike the dim wits we called our classmates. I only wish they didn’t ignore her so much. They thought they knew her, but they honestly really didn’t. They only knew her as Caroline, the girl who could have gone so far in life if only she had a better work ethic. Caroline, the poor girl never really had any friends. I for one never saw her with anyone. She was always that one girl who always played with her nails and bit her lip. Gee, I wonder why? I am quite disappointed, however. I can’t believe she got herself pregnant. I thought she was better than that. They knew her as the girl who shuddered so often and wore long sleeves. She’s probably cold a lot. Caroline, sweet Caroline, who was their favorite, even though they ignored her cries for help so much.

Now her parents. Well at first they didn’t really care, they only care now because they want a pity party and publicity for what happened. She was just Caroline, the screw up that couldn’t do a thing right, not even in school. The one kid that didn’t have any friends, she probably thought she was too good for them. Stuck up little brat. And she got pregnant? My god, the stupid little girl is too much, she’s out of control. She was the one who had one too many mental problems. Caroline.

She was just another child of theirs.

I was really the only one who knew her as truly was. The beautiful, smart girl that didn’t deserve a thing she went through. I knew her as Caroline. My best friend who tried her best at everything, but never had the time to deal with school. I knew her as my best friend, and why I was all she had. They were so mean and evil and cruel to her. That’s why. That’s always been why. The girl who played with her nails and bit the skin off her lip because she had anxiety. Terrible, terrible anxiety that consumed every part of her life. The girl who got pregnant. It wasn’t even her fault. It’s really scary to know the kind of monster a human can turn into when the word no is said. I knew her as perfect Caroline, the girl who shuddered at the “S” word because she thought of it so often. The beautiful girl who was fighting off red, sharp soldiers under the battle grounds of her sleeves, my god how much that thought scared me in my dreams. But she’s gone now. I was never ignorant to her, or mocked her. I’d never. I miss her. So, so much.

I knew Caroline the best. I wish they would have been able to know the real Caroline. Knew that she was driven mad. Driven mad by ignorance, sadness, loneliness, and ignored by the world.

If only they could have known the true personality of Caroline.