My Homecoming Date | Teen Ink

My Homecoming Date

By Molly Kocian BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Molly Kocian BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

I love this class. It has not only helped me become a better writer but it also helped me find a date to homecoming. Homecoming approached quickly this year. It was only three weeks into the school year, how was I supposed to find a date that quickly?

The feat seemed impossible. I was hoping there would be some possible candidates in my classes. I walked into Advanced Composition for the first time and I looked at the seating chart and found myself seated next to Matt Mohr. Little do many people know I have had a huge crush on Matt since Spanish class sophomore year.

He said, “Hey, could you be a doll and give me a piece of gum?”

And from then on I have had that innocent crush on him. After our first couple Advanced Composition classes together the “date situation” seemed bleak and hopeless. He did not seem interested, until the fateful creative writing exercise. I believe one of my strengths is creative writing. I enjoy letting my ideas flow onto the paper in hopes of creating something worth reading. So, Matt and I sat there trying to come up with a creative way to edit the paragraph we were given. I ended up writing the whole thing, with some interjections from Matt here and there.

Three nights later, I was on my break at work and had three new messages. I felt so popular, all these people wanting to talk to me! But all three messages were from Matt, which intrigued me. Thinking to myself, was this is possible indication of a date? Or just a homework question?

The first two messages said something along the lines of “When is this due?” and “What did you write?” and the third message asked me, “Hey do u know of anyone who needs a HC date?” and my response was “Ha…me.”

10 minutes into my break. Matt had not responded yet. I was worried that might not have been the answer he was looking for. I sat back in the gray plastic chairs and indulged in my snickers. Then I heard the buzz. It was a text from Matt. It said, “Okay so if a tall blonde guy asks you tomorrow would you say yes?”

I started laughing and told the manager about the great news and the rest of my shift was effortless. I was excited I finally had a date to my senior homecoming and that I was going to be in attendance with my secret crush!

Advanced Composition has kept us close. We see each other in the hallway and casually chat about upcoming assignments, such as this one, what grades we got on certain papers, and when the next class is, because I can’t seem to remember.

I have also edited 2 of his papers using Moodle, which I find very convenient. It is consistently updated and that way I don’t have to write anything down. All of my assignments are in one place as well. No searching through countless computer files or flipping through paper after paper. Moodle simplifies this class perfectly.

Overall, this class has not only provided me with a fantastic homecoming date, but also a deeper insight on the inner workings of writing. I know that this class brought my recently submitted college essays up to a higher standard than other essays that were submitted. I am thankful I decided to take on this class, and can’t wait to finish out the semester strong!

This was a class reflection I wrote for Advanced Composition. I had to say something about how the class has helped my writing or another aspect. I wrote about how this class helped me find my homecoming date in a very limited amount of time.