Feeling the Aurora: The Alaskan Experience | Teen Ink

Feeling the Aurora: The Alaskan Experience

By bakerlovespewds0328 PLATINUM, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
bakerlovespewds0328 PLATINUM, Elizabethtown, Kentucky

(strictly pletonic)

Winter is at its fullest in Alaska. The conifer trees, roofed in snow, and the monumental features in the distance. There are horseshoe rabbits cavorting in the snow, almost as if in a field. The wind howls, as if in a song, and in the distance the songs of the Orcas are heard.

I’m not the only one that smells the aroma of the first snow. I hear the ice crack; signaling that they’ve broke the ice and they are starting the migration. Imagining their coldness, while I am near a fire, I wish them good luck. Yet Hours later…

I have ascended up the mountain, and see a splendid gaze upon an ice-covered, gemstone cavern. I investigate the entrance, which unintentionally looks as if I’m stepping into a Siberian tiger’s mouth.

The cave’s begging for a company, so I give it a step inside; ironically, instead of a rocky, musky odor I get an aroma of an uncut salt mine. Yet, I know mankind has never touched this cave, so I’m perplexed. I turn to feel a wall of shining gems, priceless to the surroundings and of worth to mankind; crystals. Then, suddenly, I can hear the whimper of an infantile tiger cub, though it’s not appalling, for it is Siberia. It scuttles into the cave and then I notice the ear tag. It states “S.E.RI: Siberian Environmental Research Incorporated.” This cub must know of this crystallized cavern. Hours later…

I’m descending off the mountain, with the tiger cub closely following me. It must have been domestic at a time, for it is anything but wild. It acts as helpless as a kid with short-term memory loss. So I have no hesitance in its presence. Its cuddly fur and dark green eyes adorable, including its cute walk too. It is enough to make anyone fill with glee. Hmm…glee, that’s a good name for it. But then, that’s when the aurora hit me:

A blinding flare of blue hit me like a storm. Was the sky warning me, or has a fire stricken? Neither happened, instead a spectacle of beautiful light gazed upon the earth. Could it be? Is this the-how could it be? It is! It’s the aurora borealis! It’s not as described as I’ve been foretold, though. I feel the aurora beat into me, adrenaline rushes to all of my body. It’s a powerful surge in my body. An indescribable feeling hits me; maybe it’s lights, or the landscape, whichever it is its life changing!

All of it, the first snow, the Orcas melody, the singing winds, the gemstones, and especially the aurora. The wondrous sights here are a person’s dream. But at last, the borealis fades, but to me they are always there. Siberia is for granted, as if it is to always to be there, but its purpose is grander than as to be seen. The lands greatest secrets lie in sight for ones seeking its purpose. If the people aren’t there to see a life changing landscape, it’ll be whisked away by greed.

it was cold.it was beautiful.it is worth writing about