My Visit to Magnolia School | Teen Ink

My Visit to Magnolia School

By kdm2042 BRONZE, Waggaman, Louisiana
kdm2042 BRONZE, Waggaman, Louisiana

During the summer, I was part of a group that visited a school that provides help to the mentally disabled. We were spending the day at the school in order to earn service hours for the upcoming school year. I had no idea that the experience would touch me so much. While I was there, I met a special young man named Mark. After I was introduced to Mark, the first thing we did was morning exercise. Mark was excited to share part of this daily routine with me. After the exercise, we walked around the community center, and Mark told me all about his school. He told me that he loves being at the school, the food is good, and that he likes visitors especially girls. A talent show was on the schedule for the day we visited. Everyone that intended to perform had to audition before the show. Mark was very excited about the talent show; he was going to sing his favorite song. Unfortunately, Mark did not really know the lyrics to the song and was not allowed to sing. He was so upset and I felt so bad for him. Later in the talent show one of the guest sang a slow song and everyone started dancing. I danced with Mark, and when I danced with him, he started crying. He told me nobody had ever danced with him before. I knew they were tears of joy and at that moment, Mark really touched my heart. Right before we left Mark started to cry again. He said he loved me and asked me to marry him. I thought that was so cute. During my visit, I made a new friend, Mark, and gained a new appreciation for those that are mentally disabled.