Going Fishing | Teen Ink

Going Fishing

By RaeRKeller SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada
RaeRKeller SILVER, Las Vegas, Nevada

"You are the poem I never knew how to write, and this life is the story I have always wanted to tell"
-Tyler Khott Gregson

“Start getting everything packed up and ready to go sweetie,” my dad called from upstairs.

“Okay Daddy,” I yelled back up the stairs. Placing my favorite lunch-able in the last available space in the cooler. I picked it up and headed toward the garage. It was still early so the sun hadn’t come up over the mountain yet. I could barely see a thing in the trunk of the van. Moving a few things around like the tackle box and fishing rods. I finally made space in the corner for the cooler.

“Daddy are you almost ready?” I yelled up the stairs again.

“Almost sweetie ill be right down in a minute,” he yelled back to me. He was probably saying goodbye to my mom for the weekend. I had already said goodbye to her and my younger sisters and I was eager to leave and get this show on the road!

I sat on the couch in the living room and grabbed my book. For a junior high school-er it wasn’t normal to be reading books that were 700 pages long. I loved to read and did it often. I had become so consumed in my book that I hadn’t noticed my dad come down the stairs. By sneaking up behind me my dad was going to scare me but I happened to notice that. I turned around and saw him in his stance, ready and almost about to scare me. I giggled to myself when he realized he wasn’t scaring me this time.

“you ready to go?” my dad questioned me.

“Yeah lets go,” I grabbed my book and pillow. I started for the car after my dad and sat in the passenger seat. He said a prayer before he started the van and then we were off. Heading straight to Brain-heads lake.

I was tired from waking up so early so a read a little bit of my book. When I felt myself drifting off into sleep I reclined the chair, wrapped myself up in a blanket and pillow and drifted off to sleep.

I was standing in a hospital waiting room. Waiting for something I didn’t know what but I knew it was something important

passing back and forth while waiting I stayed there for what seemed like forever. Seeing my mother I ran to her.

“How is he doing?” I asked with serious concern.

“Hes doing better that’s for sure,” she explained to me in a sad tone of voice.

:wake up sweet heart we're almost there,” my dads voice flooded into my consciousness interrupting my terrible dream. I looked around disoriented. It took me a second to realize that the dream wasn’t real and I was on a fishing trip with my dad. I took in a deep breath and relaxed while my dad flipped through the radio channels.

“Really already, that was really fast. Did you speed down the high way? I didn’t even sleep that long,”

“yes, you did. You slept the whole 3 ½ hours to get here. No I didn’t speed. You know I follow laws,” my dad chuckled as he explained this to me.

“Oh, well then I guess I was a lot more tired than I thought I was,” in confusion I theorized.

Heading up the mountain, the scenery changed to roaring wildflowers, exotic trees, wild gentle animals, and several insects that sung in the woods creating a woodland symphony. I rolled down the vans window to take in the wilderness. The air was fresh, clean, and clear of any pollution. Smelling the air outside I could smell several things. Fresh earth, plants, flowers, tree sap, animal scents, and camp fire. Driving through the winding road we approached Brain-head. A small town with the biggest business of snowboarding and skiing in the winter. Considering it was only august there wasn’t any snow around. Going up the mountain a ways we reached our condo. We unpacked all our belonging into the condo. We headed out the door tackle boxes in one hand and our fishing rod in the other.

Finally heading to a hot stop on the lake my dad and I released our lines and began our long patient day of fishing.

“i think I got one daddy!” I screamed probably scaring off a bunch of fish.

“Reel it in then!”

I began to pull on my line. Nothing really happened. “Whats happening daddy?”

you probably got your line stuck on my algae at the bottom of the lake.

After a broken line and no luck with fish we headed back to the condo.

After a weekend of one fish and a lot of algae we headed home. I was reading my book in the passenger seat happily laugh to jokes and other things. Out of no where a deer ran in front of our van. Stopping in the middle of the road just to stare at us in the face my dad tried too late to turn the van out of the way, as to not hit the deer. Raming straight into the deer with little help from swerving our van went out of control. My dad didn’t have a grip on the stirring wheel which in turn freaked me out not know what was going to happen to us. I heard screaming that seemed to be from very far away. But after realization, it was my voice screaming. As I screamed, the car flipped on the right side for what seemed like forever.

After what seemed like id never wake up from. I actually woke up. I looked around at my surroundings. I was still in the car buckled to my seat. The van was up side down and I must have been hanging there for a while, I had a horrible headache or maybe that was just the crash. I braced myself as I unbuckled myself from the seat. I looked around after I crawled out of the van. I couldn’t see my dad right away but when i saw him lying on the street floor about 20 away from me.

“Daddy?” my voice was almost gone after the effect of my screaming.

I got no answer. I was getting worried but all of a sudden I couldn’t keep myself awake. Was a losing too much blood or was there something wrong on the insides of me?

I woke up in a hospital room. Where am I? Memories started flooding back to me. I was 18 and waiting in my father hospice room. It was fancy and comfortable for people who were going to die soon. My dreams horrible ending rushed at me like an oncoming train. The memory of going fishing was real but the accident was not. the memories of the last few years flooded into my mind. Cancer. my dad had cancer and it was terminal. There was nothing anyone could do to help him. all i could do was watch him and wait for the indefinite. My dad lye in his bed as his heart beat slowed down to almost nothing knew I would cherish all the memories I had with him. Finally the heart beat ceased and I felt like mine did too.

most of these memories are true. my dad and i went fishing all the time and i love the memories. i hope you enjoy a little piece of me.