New Kid On The Block | Teen Ink

New Kid On The Block

May 20, 2013
By Anonymous

My freshman year of high school was great. It was much better than I thought it was going to be. Some of the anxieties I had going in were just being in a whole new place with real teenagers and big kids. I also felt like I wasn’t going to make any friends and I wasn’t going to fit in. But it turned out to be very different than I thought. But I was also very excited to be going into high school. The transition from middle school to high school was better than I expected because most of the people that were entering high school with me were friends that I had known since about sixth grade and even longer then that so that made me feel more comfortable.
Some things I heard about high school was that it was a huge building with millions of big kids that would crush little freshman like me. That was one of the things that contributed to my anxiety and nervousness. I also heard that there would be cliques and popular people so get in where you fit in. The only one of those two myths that is true is the one about getting in where you fit in. The first day of school I learned that was true because there were already cliques being formed and it seemed as if everyone had a place. I managed to fit into high school life by becoming a cheerleader. At first I wasn’t really thinking about joining anything but my friend persuaded me to try out for the cheerleading squad with her and we both made it. So being a cheerleader boosted my confidence and helped me find new friends easier. Becoming a cheerleader helped me come out of my shell a little more because I was really shy and a quiet to myself person. It also helped me become involved in many activities. Being a cheerleader came with having to do pep rallies and go to every football and basket ball game and also make posters to tell people to come out and do fundraisers and it all turned out great. Fitting in also just became natural. I really didn’t do anything to try to fit in it kind of just happened.
The new subjects were very different from middle school. They were much more complex. Especially the math homework, it was so hard but I was never really good with math so it wasn’t really too much of a problem. The size of the building wasn’t too bad. It took me the first three days to figure out where all of my classes were by heart. The new teachers were okay. I adjusted to them pretty well. I don’t really have a teacher that I really remember that well because it was a while ago and it was at a different school than now. And for me not to really remember them should mean that they did not make a huge impact on my life. The only person that I do remember was my cheerleading coach.

So my freshman year was really unexpected and great. I had a lot of fun and I am glad that I was able to make memories for my first year of high school and make friends and meet new people.