The Struggles of High School | Teen Ink

The Struggles of High School

February 27, 2013
By Sseleigh BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
Sseleigh BRONZE, Papillion, Nebraska
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"What you do in life is insignificant, but it is significant you do it, because no one else will." - Ghandi


I’m starting to believe high school is too much to handle. The constant bullying, the harsh comments from teachers, the ridicule from countless peers. I’ve switched high school multiple times. Each year students become increasingly rude. And through my adventures in high school thus far, I have realized it’s significantly hard to have a good day when many peers around me are consistently mean.

Although mean isn’t particularly a good word to use, but I’m at a loss for another word without coming across as rude myself. The mean these students are isn’t the kindergarten mean when one takes your crayon and rips your drawing. No. Or the mean where some kid cheated in gym class and received the recognition you felt you deserved. No. High school is far beyond crayons, ripped drawings, and stolen recognition.

Simply walking down the hallway you are being judged beyond imaginable belief. You will be judged for what you’re wearing, what you’re not wearing, your hair, your makeup, the way you hold your books; the way you walk, the pace of which you are walking, the friends you talk to along your journey to your classroom. Students will be quick to make rude remarks about you; even if they make no sense. The cruelty is mind-boggling. As I was walking down the hallway just the other day I heard one student yell at another to move out of the way. Yelled. Or another day I heard one girl call another a *female dog because she didn’t see her when she turned the corner. And although that may not seem like it is horrendous, that is only the beginning.

Lunch is a time where the evil can come out in anyone. Friends are around friends they haven’t seen all day, the atmosphere is crowded from all the students savaging and almost crawling like wild animals to find food, almost as though they haven’t seen food in days. Just by simply walking through the cafeteria I have heard repulsive conversations among peers that – if I were their parents – I would be ashamed to have raised such a person to speak the way they do, with such coldness int heir hearts.

It isn’t so much that students talk rudely about one another, it is merely the fact of what words vibrate in their vocal cords to produce such filth to escape their lips. (And although this is meant for a descriptive essay, the dialogue will be very much altered for the sake of me not being suspended for writing such vulgar language on an English paper.) One day at lunch, I passed by this table, struggling to reach the table with my friends eagerly awaiting to tell me all about their weekend. However, I overhead this table of what looked like freshman talk about their “crazy, fun weekend.” But what they told each other didn’t sound fun at all. In fact, it sounded beyond crazy; it was bizarre. One girl who wore a shirt that screamed “look at me, I want boys’ attention” told about how she had sex with a senior who she barely knew, and that it was “okay because (they) were both really faded.” A freshman. As a freshman I was involved in many extra curricular activities and honestly, had never even kissed a boy. It scares me to think some girls think “getting faded” or getting around makes them cool. The best part? Those very same girls were rudely talking about a junior who had sex with a boy; but the major difference was I personally knew this girl. She has been with the same boy for going on three years now.

Although this is high school, and teachers, councelors and parents alike will continuously say “it’s just high school. In a few years these people won’t matter anyways.” But that’s the problem. They will matter in a few years. Many students experience the gut-wrenching, repulsive, vulgar comments on a daily bases. It’s horrifying. It’s horrifying to know children are being raised and exposed to these sorts of behavior.

This essay is not an opinion; it is merely a reality check. A reality check to all of those who yell vulgar cuss words to others in the hallway because they aren’t moving quick enough, or to those who bash and discriminate on when they are preforming the same actions, just on a more inappropriate level. We should be filling all the empty spaces in this world with love and happiness; compliments and smiles. We should be overusing our manners and appreciating those around us. We should refrain from letting those harsh vibrations on our vocal cords create such a repulsive sound when they finally escape our lips.

High school is meant to be the carefree time of our life; not the time to sit around and bring others down with us.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because we had to write another choice writing in my english class. i decided to write about high school because I had a bad day.