The Truth about Muslims | Teen Ink

The Truth about Muslims

January 10, 2013
By papoome BRONZE, Cherterfield, New Jersey
papoome BRONZE, Cherterfield, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

How would you like it if someone came up to you and called you a terrorist? It would not make you feel very good would it? Well, this happens a lot with the people of my religion. Just because the people who caused the devastation of 9/11 happened to be Muslim, does not mean that we are all terrorists. The religion of Islam is one of the most peaceful religions in the world. We as Muslims do not tolerate violence at all. Those people that attacked America on 9/11 were extremists, they may have called themselves Muslims, but they were not. What irritates me is that most people don’t understand that.
A lot of people believe that since the attackers were Muslims that all Muslims must be terrorists as well. A quote from the Quran says that “if you kill an innocent person it is like killing the entire humanity.” This quote is one of the principles that Muslims follow which makes us very peaceful people. Also, that means we would be going against all that we know. This quote also proves that the terrorists of 9/11 were not really Muslims because they killed so many innocent people. Many people think that Islam is a religion, but it is not. Instead, it is a way of life. The Quran says that everyone is born a Muslim. But this does not mean you are actually Muslim. It means that you know right from wrong.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 9 comments.


on Nov. 16 2013 at 6:45 pm
Deej6595 BRONZE, Billerica, Massachusetts
3 articles 0 photos 369 comments

Favorite Quote:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.

I liked this article. You are right the people who call themselves Moslems are not at all. I wish people would open their minds and stop being ignorant. I am not a Moslem but, I do love the whole teaching of your religion and people I know who follow these practices are always people I see as kind. They are some people who might not be so nice but, they shouldn't typecast the whole faith in the first place instead they should get to know someone of the Islamic faith. I wish you could add more examples about your faith thoughinstead of just saying that Moslems aren't terrorists. However I think this is a great topic for stereotyping and discussions.

Sir_Bromsten said...
on Jan. 18 2013 at 10:50 am
Sir_Bromsten, Scottsdale, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
-Helen Keller

I see what you are conveying, and just like the claims made in the article that the jihadists aren't real Muslims, the Catholic church is just a denomination (an offshoot) from the Christianity based strictly off the Bible.  The Catholic church uses traditions and beliefs that aren't ever mentioned in the Bible.  The Catholic church does not accuratly represent the true disciples of Christ.  And America has degraded its morals and virtues quite enough to fit the bill for no longer being a "Christian" nation.

on Jan. 17 2013 at 10:34 pm
happyrocks SILVER, Regina, Other
8 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
'It does not do well to live in dreams and forget to live'. ~ Dumbledore, Harry Potter

Hello, another fellow Muslim here. We need more people like you, papoome, to educate others on what Islam really is. I get it that we have a lot of terrorists among our religion, but are we to blame for that? What did I ever do, a peace-loving, God-believing person, to be attacked for the crimes of another man who shares nothing with me but the same religion?  If people could just put our differences aside and realize that we all share the same God, and only want to live peacefully, it would be much easier to not get frustrated every time we're attacked for something we didn't ask for. All religons can be misinterpreted, and 9/11 was just another example of that. I love all religions, you name it. I just wish other people were that way too.

pensive said...
on Jan. 17 2013 at 7:12 pm
pensive, Fcgbhjk, Maryland
0 articles 0 photos 25 comments
Hi. Fellow Muslim here. I like the concept of this article, but don't you think you're being a little general? Not all Muslims are peaceful. Also, who are we to judge who's "actually a Muslim" and who's not? You're trying to prove that Muslims are not terrorists but in doing so you're oversimplifying the issue to the point where the reader can't relate to it. I mean, your writing is cogent, but this piece would be a 100 times better if you could add something more personal. What do you mean by Islam is not a religion but a way of life? What does being a Muslim mean to YOU? Talk about how it makes you feel, how you feel about your relationship with God, what you think about other religions, etc.

on Jan. 17 2013 at 6:49 pm
Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
31 articles 0 photos 402 comments
Well, if you look at 'Christian controlled countries' (the US is predominantly Christian, and Europe was practically ruled by the Catholic church for over a thousand years) then you come to the conclusiopn that Christianity promotes unlimited promiscuity, mass shootings, racism, religious wars, drug abuse,  gluttony, arrogance, and closed-mindedness, to name a few.   Judge a religion by it's beliefs and principles, not the mistakes of its followers.

Sir_Bromsten said...
on Jan. 17 2013 at 6:21 pm
Sir_Bromsten, Scottsdale, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
-Helen Keller

Sorry about the confusing comment.  I just had a few minutes to pull it together, so it kind of came to me as I wrote.  You are right about what I was trying to say, but as I was still waking up I didn't have the mental strength to put it in ink myself.  The only reason I brought the Bible into this was because of the claims the Quran makes about figures in the Bible such as Christ who actually said the exact opposite of what the Quran states.  It was off topic and shouldn't even be considered when reading what I wrote, but it was just an issue that's been a thorn in my side for a while.

Ace007 said...
on Jan. 17 2013 at 4:58 pm
What Sir Bromsten is trying to say is that this article is supposed to be addressing Muslim morals and not the legitimacy of the religion regarding terrorism. You started out good, making us feel the offense of being accused of a terrorist, but then you went off topic with how terrorists disregarded a rule in the Quran and are therefore not Muslims. However, one thing that kind of bothered me about Sir Bromster's comment was about the Quran versus the Bible. "Contradictions"? The Quran is a good book for good people, it's just that in Islam the well intended beliefs are not applied to everyone, including women. To improve this article, I would try to focus on one "truth" about Muslims and elaborate on why it's true.

Sir_Bromsten said...
on Jan. 17 2013 at 11:38 am
Sir_Bromsten, Scottsdale, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart, I shall say that life is good.
-Helen Keller

Please don't take offence if it's hard to believe this article at first glance.  Please read this whole article so you don't misunderstand me.  I mean, it's not like you can tell a whole lot about a country and its religion just by looking at it's actions...Or maybe you can.  Anyways, I may not know a great deal about the Quran itself or the religion that follows its teachings, but I do know about the lifestyle and actions of Islam controlled countries.  For starters, woman are treated like they are worthless.  Women are executed constantly in the Middle East for crimes (if you can even call them that) they possibly weren't even responsible for, just because their husband or father is displeased with them. If we were to look at the claims of Muslims who have tried to make peace: "The Christian and Islam god are the same," "Islam is a peaceful religion." I'm sorry if it's hard for me to find that truth, but the Quran is riddled with content that claims Jesus was a prophet of Allah, as was other Old Testament figures.  I am a Christian, and a book (The Bible), written hundreds of years before the Quran, by over forty authors, where there is no contradictions (I would gladly explain the so-called "contradictions" to you) would seem to overwrite any book written after it such as the Quran. I'm not saying that I hate all Muslims, or that Islam is a religion only for terrorists.  Remember though, that the terrorists only gave their lives because they were promised a place in heaven, because they had killed "infidels" Allahu akbar!  Which I believe means, "In the name of Allah."  Nevertheless, I do believe in peaceful Muslims who try to live their lives by a lifestyle similar to other peaceful religions.  From your article, I believe you are one of those, which I can say I'm happy about because it means you probably believe in many of the same morals I do.  Don't get the idea I'm saying your an exception to the rule!  I'm saying I believe you are a part of the majority of Islam.  I just also believe that the terrorists from 9/11 were also Muslim, even if not true Muslims.  Don't think that what I'm saying is hate speech.  I'm trying to point out flaws in this argument of Islam as a religion, not speaking against the believers of Islam.  If I got any details wrong in this comment, please respond and give me the correct information.  I would really appreciate a reference from the Quran to support that fact too, if possible.

on Jan. 17 2013 at 10:44 am
Kayla_Guthrie GOLD, Philpot, Kentucky
11 articles 19 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
every now and then there comes someone so unuaually unique that everyone normal wishes to be unique in the same excat way.
~stedival a character from the book the accidental hero by matt myklucsh
i'm not sure if this word for word correct

wow, this really opened up my mind. i need to show this to my father to prove to him that Muslims are not terrible people, like i have been trying to tell him. thank you for finnally giving me evidence to show to my dad.