Home home home | Teen Ink

Home home home

By simpleandtrue PLATINUM, Moraga, California
simpleandtrue PLATINUM, Moraga, California

\'let the life that you live dictate who you are, not Facebook.\'

The smell of homemade pork soup. The array of slippers near the front door. The golden NorCal sunshine cascading onto the hills. Chatter about chores and life. It feels like home.

Four months into college, I cannot say that I like my old life over my new one. I love being able to watch movies with friends upstairs at eleven in the evening, going on CVS for all necessities for life, the smell of popcorn at midnight, and long girl talks with my roommate. But, the small things about home will always make me feel comfortable.
First, there is the comfort of a full house. The presence of my family members reminds me of the support system that is with me wherever I go. When I am hundreds of miles away, I will remember who I represent and who I want to make proud. Also, I often need someone to just listen to me gush out my life. My mom, sister, and grandma are the jars that I spill many relationship and career questions into.
Second, there is the presence of amazing food. Sorry college dorm food, but you just don’t stand the chance. Yes, I still get my veggies and meats. But the sheer taste of homemade food is a million times better. Food=home.
Next, home is the hills and local shops that surround my house. For a while, after being in the smoggy city of Los Angeles, I have forgotten the inimitable freshness of San Francisco air. Hello, lovely maple trees and green pastures. Also, being inside the TJ maxx near my house reminds me of memories made with my mom in our past shopping sprees; is this okay to wear? Am I trying to fit another identity?
Oh, home. How I have missed you so. This week just seems so sweet. Completely delicious and wonderful like honey. Home home home.