The Vocal experience | Teen Ink

The Vocal experience

November 8, 2011
By Bdub555 GOLD, Keytesville, Missouri
Bdub555 GOLD, Keytesville, Missouri
15 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you speak kind words, you will hear kind echos."


Singing has been a passion of mine since I was a young girl. Singing gives you a voice that people will listen to for better or worse. I’ve had many different artists influence me from Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Jr. to Adele and The Who. I have taken choir for two years. I’m going to tell you about the first time I sang in front of my whole school.
Our music teacher, Ms. Steven, told us that we would have to read a poem and perform the song America, My Home. Since the other student in our class wasn’t confident in her voice yet, I decided to sing the majority of the song while she would read the poem. I practiced everyday, harder and harder as the day came upon me. At one time, I even recorded my voice to see how it would sound on a microphone to other people. It was weird at first to hear my voice, but I used this to help approve some of my notes as well as my pitch.
The day was finally here. Everyone is taking their seats in the gymnasium and getting comfortable. As I see all the people come in my nerves began to sit in. I sit in my seat seeing others before me speak and all you see me doing is looking down at my program to see when I have to go. Finally it is my time to shine. My make or break moment. The girl before me reads the poem and does an excellent job. I’m practically running to the microphone. I began to sing and as soon as I get started it is complete. My nerves had left me and I got a round of applause. Afterword, many people said I sang very well and this makes me feel great. I had faced my fear head-on and got through it fine and to this day, singing is one of my favorite things to do.

The author's comments:
This is about the first time I sang a solo