Technology in my Life | Teen Ink

Technology in my Life

By 15donatom GOLD, Milford, Massachusetts
15donatom GOLD, Milford, Massachusetts

Everyday when I get home from school I log-in to my computer, sign-in to one of the various social networking websites, and begin to half-heartedly start my homework. I do this every day like clockwork. It has become a sort of routine in my life. Every once in a while when my brother has nothing better to do he admonishes me saying things like "You have no life" or "Go get a life." I usually just shrug these things off and not bother with them but one day he really got me thinking. Was the extent of my social interaction really just text on a computer screen? Had I trained away all of my social interaction skills by choosing to sit in front of a screen instead of actually talk to people. As I sat there comfortably cocooned in my grotto of technology I contemplated the answer. Technology had become a huge part of my life and I hadn't even realized how it was effecting me.

That day I decided to change my ways. I didn’t decide to become a hermit and completely relinquish the technology in my life. I merely decided that I would try to use technology a little less. When I thought a little more deeply about it, I realized technology is a huge part of my life. I use the internet to stay on top of my grades. I use my phone to keep in touch with my family and friends. Computers really are used for so much now. I turn in most of my major homework assignments in through it. The computer and internet are extremely important when considering my survival in school. This whole series of thought reminded me of a weekend where we lost power. I felt almost hopeless when I couldn't curl up and watch TV or check my email. The two days without power were horrifically boring and I was praying that the power would return soon. When the power was out I did get to play board games with my family because we weren't distracted by the TV or internet. I really enjoyed getting to spend some quality time with my family. This whole event reminded me how much I rely on technology.

However, technology isn't a force of evil that was created to hurt the world. I just haven't always been able to balance out technology and friends. Technology has been a great help to me and has given me a lot of enjoyment. I would not be in the same place today without technology. I have always considered myself to be good with computers and I have often considered getting a job in a field that requires a knowledge of computers. I believe that I need to keep a good balance of technology and social interaction in my life. Leaning to far towards one might hurt me when I am considering my future and my job, but leaning towards the other will hurt me when considering my friends and family. That is why I have now developed better habits that will help me in life.