The Turtle | Teen Ink

The Turtle

By kclaire BRONZE, South Range, Wisconsin
kclaire BRONZE, South Range, Wisconsin

It is quiet as I dip my head into the water; the entire world has been turned on mute. All I can hear is the rasping sound my snorkel makes as I breathe in and out. Perhaps it is because of the quiet that I feel completely alone, though I can see the ends of my brother’s flippers ahead of me.
Kicking softly, I scan the cool, silent world that lies below me, perfectly still. This place is sacred, I realize, and not meant for me. Never in my life have I viewed such stillness. The water has blurred the energy of movement; it has softened the bright colors of the tropical fish that belong here. It has made a cold and gentle place, a place where the world above the water fades away. It is perfect.
And then I see the turtle. She floats along ahead of me, her silhouette just visible through the dream-like blue of the water. Her movements are slow and suspended. As I watch her, it is impossible for me to believe that she exists in the world that I live in. I hurry and drift closer, drawn to her in a way I cannot describe. She continues on her way, serenely ignoring my fascination. Her eyes are deep and black and beautiful. They are wise and old eyes. Looking at them, I think that she knows a something about life that I will never fathom. A secret that will remain unknown to all but one silent Green Sea Turtle who has let me follow her.

on Nov. 27 2011 at 1:25 pm
livelovesmile GOLD, Gaithersburg, Maryland

I am like a star burst. A juicy contradiction. I'm hard to figure out, but when you get to my center, your suprised! It's not what you thought it would be, huh.

Beautiful!

kclaire BRONZE said...
on Nov. 12 2011 at 4:18 pm
kclaire BRONZE, South Range, Wisconsin
Thank you! :)

cmore PLATINUM said...
on Nov. 12 2011 at 9:19 am
cmore PLATINUM, North Vancouver, Other

"Why do I dance? Why do you breathe?"

Great job!