Moving | Teen Ink

Moving

By Annabellen GOLD, Bedford, New York
Annabellen GOLD, Bedford, New York

When my mom told me I had to move, I was so mad. I thought that moving was just like every movie described it to be. You had to stand up in front of the class and share things about yourself. Well, moving wasn’t anything like that. I was mad at first, but by being mad that wasn’t going to get me anywhere. I guess I forgot that I knew so many people already.

When I got to school I didn’t have to stand up and share facts and sit down. I didn’t have to do anything like that. I just had to try and figure my way around. I actually have the worst directions skills; so even figuring out where everything was in a small school like this one was a challenge. I always confused the hallways, and for some odd reason the hallway next to the gym seemed to look different every time. Then I had to learn names. That actually wasn’t that hard. Although I did confuse people who didn’t look anything alike, and I didn’t know a couple of kids were even in this grade, I was pretty good at learning names.
Moving when you know people isn’t anything like the stupid movies portray it to be. It isn’t that hard when you know people. The only big difference was coming home to a house and not to a nice apartment with a grouchy, fat doorman to hold the door open for you. Actually one of our doormen was to lazy to open the door. He was of no use when we came in with shopping bags.
Another thing was that, for like a week, I couldn’t sleep. I never thought about how it was quiet here. In the city I was high enough in my building that I didn’t hear too much, and the taxis, buses, cars and sirens actually put me to sleep at night. Now, every morning I hear nothing. But I’m happy I have a house now because ever since I watched Devil I’m terrified of elevators. If you haven’t seen that movie it is basically about people who get trapped in an elevator and are getting attacked by the devil. It doesn’t sound scary but when the movie blacks out and someones throat gets cut open it is actually terrifying. Now, when I go to the mall I am scared there will be the devil in the malls elevator. I pretty much steer clear of the elevators. I would rather walk up the stairs. I’m happy I don’t have to ride up twelve floors in the elevator anymore, more than once a day. I guess, moving has actually been better than I expected.

cbarths said...
cbarths, New York, New York
really relatable! top story and really good!

JJatnyc said...
This is really good! It should be the top story for this week. I really like it. Its really relatible for young readers and well desirves some reward

AlexisSenrey said...
This is really relatible and really well written. This should be considered the top story for this week. It's really strong and very very good