My Paradise | Teen Ink

My Paradise

By thewolfinsheepscloth PLATINUM, New York, New York
thewolfinsheepscloth PLATINUM, New York, New York

People are like stained-glass windows.
They sparkle and shine when the sun is out,
but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed
only if there is a light from within.

My life in Dominican Republic was like a never-ending adventure, which was a fact I loved since I got easily bored. Back then I was kind of...wild. I used to run in front of all kinds of vehicles during most of my time there. But don’t worry I don’t do that anymore.

In my mother’s home place, I loved to go bare foot, and loved that I was allowed to walk anywhere by myself because everything was at a walking distance. I was 9 years old when I fell in love with the ‘Rio Grande,’ a giant river located near the town I resided in. Every time I was in that river I felt free, just like I do now when I write. Back in those days I didn’t like writing yet. I hated writing, because I was always made fun of my sloppy handwriting, and I am still being teased for it as we speak. I was 7 when I met one of my best friends, a beautiful brunette who was a year older than me. Her eyes would sparkle every time the light hit her eyes, and her pale skin seemed to glow in the rays of the moon. I was somewhat jealous of her, but I was grateful and still am grateful to have her as a friend.

I used to meet so many kind people. The people there would always help you out if you needed help, but just like everything else it wasn’t as perfect as I once thought. I witnessed something I rather not think about, as an animal lover, seeing an animal being branded or killed is a terrible thing. I remember I had to close my eyes and walk away every time I had to witness something like that. In Dominican Republic, I climbed places like tress, and miniature mountains even when I scarped myself and started gushing blood.

Even now, I miss the feeling of the wind caressing my face, and the sun kissing my skin every morning. I miss interacting with the animals that my uncle owned when I went to visit. I miss riding horses and feeling the hot dirt under my toes when I went barefoot. Bottom line I miss my mother’s home land.

I wish that I could go back to visit just one more time, and see what I love about Dominican Republic. I want to jump one more time in El Rio Grande; I want to hear the wind whisper her secrets into my ear. I want to feel the sun smiling down at me as I climb trees; I want to feel the freedom that I felt when I was last there. I want to visit the people I left behind, even if I do not get to talk to them. I would feel bliss if I could just get a glimpse of them. My mother’s homeland is like a paradise to me. That was how my life was in Dominican Republic, an never ending adventure of happiness, fulfillment and inspiration.