My Dream and What I'm Doing | Teen Ink

My Dream and What I'm Doing

By Anyanka GOLD, Carrollton, Texas
Anyanka GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

'Evil Willow looked around the room and sighed. "This world's no fun." She grumbled. Good willow looked over at her bitterly. "You noticed that too?"'

I’ve been writing since I was in first grade, of course back then since I didn’t know many words I mainly used pictures, but I’ve been working all this time to become a better writer. I love it when people tell me about their passions and talk about hobbies that they like to do, even if some people find it boring I just find that person as another amazing character I could write about one day.
I just finished a book recently, it’s called No Regrets, not yet published or anything but it’s a major accomplishment. The only problem is that I’m having problems dealing with the constant remarks of it won’t go anywhere, your book will never get published, and will you even make any money off of it? These are people who have either read my book or read nothing to do with any of my writings. They just base it off of what they’ve heard.
When people are constantly telling you that your stories are amazing and the plotlines unique it’s hard to understand the possibility of failure. I know this and consider failure in passing. I have confidence in my writing. There is no doubt in my mind I will become a famous writer one day and no one can take that confidence away. It’s just a part of me.
I guess the main reason why I’m talking about this is because… this is my dream and I want to share it. It took me three months to write No Regrets and yet it’s the deepest most subtly complex thing I have ever read in my life… and I’m proud of myself. I’m a sophomore and turning sixteen in less than twenty days. I want to publish my book before I get out of college, heck, even before I become a junior.
I have goals and I want to fulfill them all. With an air of confidence and a sly smile I want to do my best to do what I’ve set out to do… and that’s to become a great fiction writer one day.

not sure who goes online and reads about other people's dreams but I just got the urge to put my thoughts on a document page and then I decided I might as well post it. Completely random and unplanned but hey... it works.

Anyanka GOLD said...
on Oct. 14 2010 at 6:46 pm
Anyanka GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

thank you so much! I agree with you completely and that would be amazing if you could read my work. This story is something that I have every confidence in. I'm waiting on two people to read it before I look for a publisher but I appreciate everything you have told me. That's amazing that you published something! I'm doing my best to be working towards this goal. Who knows. Maybe one day we'll both be signing autographs together XD

Author said...
on Oct. 12 2010 at 6:55 pm
I was recently sent to your site for a read of your non-fiction article and I have to say I am impressed. For someone of sixteen years of age you have a good head on your shoulders.  For those who have told you your book will never go anywhere, you will not make any money, that the book is not written well, I say to them that writing is subjective, if someone says they do not like your writing get a written constructive review.  You will find that those who bash your work are jealous, lack imagination and are not published.  Unless they are experts in publishing, I would not listen.  From a published Author with additional contracts on my next 2 novels, I say good work, keep it up and when you are told you can't, smile, walk away and just go do it.  I am looking forward to reading your work in the future.  Good Luck and thick skin to you. 

michelle said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 8:57 pm
You go girl!  I just started reading "No Regrets" and it is great so far!  You have come a long way in your writing, I am very impressed.

Nana9 said...
on Sep. 29 2010 at 4:11 pm

I've believed in you for 16 years! Can't wait to read you on my Kindle in the near future.  I'll always be your #1 fan !!

Anyanka GOLD said...
on Sep. 25 2010 at 7:39 am
Anyanka GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

No worries. I'm smart enough to know that failure will happy but strong enough to work harder toward my goal. Thank you so much though, I hope one day you'll see my books in bookstores all over the place.

Cascade said...
on Sep. 24 2010 at 10:55 pm

Anyanka:

I just read your article, and was very impressed with your desires and dreams. At your age it is rare to fined one that has set in their mind as to whom they want to be. Always keep that mental image of your desired identity, for when failures come (for they most definitely will) that identity will be what keep you on the path to your goals. Never be afraid to fail.

on Sep. 24 2010 at 7:09 pm
deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Amen to everything you just said!! I'm the exact same way. I don't care if I never get published or famous or as revered as my idols, I will never ever stop writing or trying. 

Anyanka GOLD said...
on Sep. 24 2010 at 6:17 pm
Anyanka GOLD, Carrollton, Texas

thanks MOM. your the first one to comment. I'm still at 3 raters but hey they all rated 5 stars so I guess I'm doing good. Can't wait for them to allow my other stuff to be posted.

purrfectkim said...
on Sep. 24 2010 at 6:15 pm
You did a great job on telling your story. I hope all your dreams come true. Keep living  your dream.