Dear... Dear You Part One | Teen Ink

Dear... Dear You Part One

August 17, 2010
By singergurl12 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
singergurl12 GOLD, Jacksonville, Florida
15 articles 0 photos 190 comments

Favorite Quote:
Fairy tales are true, not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.


If I were to turn my head and look at you across the room, would I see you looking at me? If I were to run over to you when we are told to partner up for a project, would you smile and put your arm over my shoulders, or stare at me like I’m crazy? I used to be able to read your every thought, tell exactly what was bothering you from a glance. I would know when you needed a hug, when I should just leave you alone. You’ve been my best friend since pre-k. Then we get to 6th grade, and I don’t know what to think.

In the beginning, everything’s just like it always was, with us partnering up for every project and sitting next to each other in every class. 6th grade passes, replaced by seventh. Things change. I seem to be a magnet for the odd ones, the kids who don’t really fit in with anyone besides themselves. The kids like me. You were magnetized to everyone else, the ones who seem to have a severe addiction to Abercrombie & Fitch. They hated us, we hated them. Yet, somehow, our friendship survived. The first quarter passed, just like old times. By the second quarter, though, you had begun to side with the others while they were completely humiliating my friends. You made fun of their clothes, because they weren’t from South Pole. You sneered at their backpacks and purses because they weren’t found in Aeropostale. That was still only when your friends were around, though, and never to me.
You grew. So did I. I realized that if you couldn’t accept my friends for who they are, then it was useless. It would only end in you rejecting me as well. I gave up. I sat with my friends, not because I had no where else, but because I loved them and I know they loved me. For who I was. I wondered if you would ever learn that lesson. Slowly, my nightmare came true. My best friend, the one whom I had shared my life with, turned on me. You told everyone that I left my door open at night, because I was still afraid of the darkness. When they weren’t satisfied with that, you spilled about my crush on the class freak in 5th grade. How could you? You swore you would never tell, just like you swore we would be best friends today, tomorrow, always. Two promises broken. It simply can NOT get worse… can it?


The author's comments:
im not sure if this is true or not... i honestly cant tell with us anymore. parts of it are my experiences, others are my imagination. if he ever sees it, what will he say? will he know its him? i hate love sometimes...