Wait, Someone’s Calling my Name! | Teen Ink

Wait, Someone’s Calling my Name!

By kaitlyn1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
kaitlyn1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

“Kaitlyn, come play horses with me! “Being the big sister to a 4-year-old and 11-year-old, these are usually the first words I hear. Having just come through the door, I was ready to relax, watch some TV, and put my feet up. Instead, my afternoon is spent putting on a face that convinces them I am excited to spend hours playing dolls. Being the firstborn is a responsibility I carry, and wouldn’t have it any other way.

“Kaitlyn, I need you to get an ice pack, and hurry!” My eyes skim over the activity pool one more time, before responding to my manager’s command. I rush to the first aid room, making sure I don’t slip on the wet floor. My hands scramble for the pack, and in seconds it is relieving the head of a 7-year-old who has slipped getting out of the lazy river. To them I am just another lifeguard; however, I go home every day with a sense of pride in my work.

“Kaitlyn, come on up and share your presentation with us!” I look up, take a deep breath, and feel my hands starting to shake. Preparing for hours by practicing over and over, the nervousness is always a surprise to me. Getting up, I make my way to the front of the classroom, hoping my power point doesn’t fail. Even though this is one of the moments of school that I dread the most, I will overcome. If I am going to become a radiologist, I will have to present information.